Covering the marks.

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Silme Lor
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Covering the marks.

Post by Silme Lor » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:56 am

So I know this question has probably been asked millions of times but I'm sort of new to the board and just looking for any input.
I have a wedding to go to soon and I'm wearing a dress that shows my arms. Does anyone have any good hiding techniques for scabs and scars? I have a lot of scars on my arms that are sort of white but difficult to cover with makeup (maybe I'm just not good at it?). They show up especially well in the sun and it's a beach wedding. :roll:
Anyways, any help would be VERY APPRECIATED. I'm kind of freaking out, I don't want my parents or relatives to see.
"And then, something happened. I let go. Lost in oblivion. Dark and silent and complete. I found freedom. Losing all hope was freedom."

:roll: A bit lost...

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:39 am

get some foundation/cover up that matches your skin tone, and then spray it with hairspray. that way, it will not fade over time. make sure though that the makeup matches *really well*, though.

or, could you wear a shawl and drape it over your scars? depending on the dress it shouldn't be too unfashionable, and nobody would question otherwise.
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

pretty
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by pretty » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:16 am

I have this really funky cropped cardigan that ties at the front and is really thin and quite light, so not too warm and it looks good with a dress. You could wear something like that and say you're worried about getting sunburnt.
'this is what she says gets her through it,
"if I don't let myself be happy now, then when?"' - jimmy eat world

place

Wandering
town councillor
town councillor

Post by Wandering » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:52 am

Yup, try to find something to wear over it, and pull the 'sensitive skin' stunt. If you go with the make up make sure you practice before, so you know how it looks and that you'll be happy with the result.

Take care, Andi
Perhaps one day this too will be pleasant to remember
Visitors welcome!!! : My Place

Quiet little Angel
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Quiet little Angel » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:09 pm

i'd go with something very thin, possibly semi-seethrough, as that wouldn't look too suspicious... otherwise i agree with the things allready said...

:lblstar:
/May

:lblstar: Never underestimate the power of silence... :lblstar:
:lblstar: micro-chipped mental cyber twins taking over NewZealand... :lblstar:
:lblstar: ever reached out for someones hand only to find it wasn't there? :lblstar:
My place of happy-scared-random-thoughts dealing with motherhood and anxiety, visitors welcome

black_23
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by black_23 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:23 pm

I was a bridesmaid for my friends wedding last year, and I had the same problem. For much of the part I kept my arm hidden (one is worse than the other) and then once got to the reception I had a wrap that I used to hide them. I also used vit e cream in the run up to the wedding which seemed to make them feel flatter if anything and that was on old scars so that may help. Other than that a light top that you can slip over as suggested would be lovely especially for a beach wedding. Hope it goes well x
'Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life' Picasso

'IS THERE NO WAY OUT OF THE MIND?' Sylvia Plath

My Poetry
http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=97459

My Place
http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=97307

Smileyface_Ariel
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by Smileyface_Ariel » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:21 pm

I had the same problem at my mums weding, i just bought loads of bead braclets that matched my dress and people commented on how pritty the braclets were! (i only cut on my lower arm.) The rest of the time in summer i wear loads of sweatbands, because people got suspeciouse of the long sleves. Gud luck=)

lelijk lijk

Post by lelijk lijk » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:41 pm

I had to go to a funeral...(i didn't know the person)
and i wore these black gloves...kindof lacey and translucent...
you could maybe get some...in a colour that would look good with your dress?

sorry...i'm not very fashionable :tongue:

flipflopfetish
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by flipflopfetish » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:31 pm

I'd go for lacey, maybe fingerless gloves because they are sexy and if the scars are super bad you could wear makeup as well

but is the concealer + hairspray thing waterproof?