musical coping strategies

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

redishcrayon
one of us
one of us

musical coping strategies

Post by redishcrayon » Wed May 03, 2006 3:51 am

How many people play music or listen to music to deal with stress and/or triggers? I know I was having a lot of trouble coping, until I picked up a pair of drum sticks and started drumming. Now it's what I do whenever I feel the urge to cut. Unless it's in the middle of the night. Ha.

Just thought it would be interesting to know. It seems to help me a lot - just wondering how many others music has helped. :halfrobot:
"Subvert the <b>dominant paradym</b>"

steady hands
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by steady hands » Wed May 03, 2006 6:04 am

I both play and listen to music, sometimes to deal with stress and urges, but not always. (i'm a drummer too :) )

but some songs are triggering too, so it goes both ways for me, I guess.

:star: gretch

dbms
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by dbms » Wed May 03, 2006 3:56 pm

Music helps either listening or playing. I find playing much more engaging as it takes more concentration. I'm learning to play the piano and it takes all my attention to read the notes and use both hands. Ok using my left is still a work in progress but some times I work out a passable melody.

As for listening I found music can effect me either way, sometimes it lifts me up other times it reinforces the bad feelings I'm having. I've moved away from listening to as much music because of this.
Mark
I looked for a person who most needed my kindness today and somehow found myself.

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Wed May 03, 2006 6:43 pm

nothing is a better urge antidote than music.
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

*.*Black_Star*.*
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by *.*Black_Star*.* » Wed May 03, 2006 7:40 pm

Music is defiantely a coping stratergy for me, and it helps me get through urges and stuff so yeah its a good way to deal with things.

black_23
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by black_23 » Wed May 03, 2006 10:12 pm

Playing music is def a big coping strat for me, if im in a bad place playing guitar always helps. Although listening to music really depends, sometimes i find really angry music ground me more than something soothing or calm Im guessing its cos i can identify with it rther than feeling lost. does anyone else get that?!
'Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life' Picasso

'IS THERE NO WAY OUT OF THE MIND?' Sylvia Plath

My Poetry
http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=97459

My Place
http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=97307

ebmcs
creating your space
creating your space

Post by ebmcs » Fri May 05, 2006 2:20 am

YES!!!!!!!!!!! I do not know what I would do without music. I have music for about every mood. Also my radio stations' music helps me to remember how much God loves me/truth and that keeps me grounded.
Psalm 91, 107, 139

"Hungry, I come to you for I know you satisfy. I am empty, but I know Your love does not run dry. <br>And so I wait for you. Jesus, you're all this heart is living for. <br>Broken, I run to You for Your arms are open wide. I am weary, but I know Your touch restores my life."<p>

visit <a href="http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php? ... tart=0">my place</a>

jordan
growing roots
growing roots

Post by jordan » Fri May 05, 2006 4:35 am

definately. i both listen and play music, but listening to it proves to be more effective for me. :)
:lavheart: :lpurpheart: :magheart: :pinkheart: my friends saved my life - i love you all :pinkheart: :magheart: :lpurpheart: :lavheart: