A break-through

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

HealMe
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

A break-through

Post by HealMe » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:27 pm

I had a therapy session yesterday. I have problems showing emotion besides SH.

I had a break-through...a small one..an it was so draining..I came home and slept. I was in there an hour and a half. I had a different therapist for many yrs..and I can see now the wasted yrs.

My new one I have been with 10 months. I know I am going to crack wide open with this one. I am so frightened what is going to come out....rage? Remember more shame?

Anyone have any suggestions for between sessions? I feel weak,vulnerable, and like I could go crazy...she is stripping my walls away...I know they need to come down....but I am so afraid of this new feeling.

*.*Black_Star*.*
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by *.*Black_Star*.* » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:26 pm

i dont really have any advice or anything, just wanted to say well done on making the break through, and i know your scared and everything but its gonna help you in the long run. I really hope you get what you need from your therapist sessions ((hugs))---if ok

HealMe
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by HealMe » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:42 pm

Kayla,thank you for responding....I looked at "your space".....you are so young.....and pretty. Thanks for all your compassion and hugs alweays welcome.

*.*Black_Star*.*
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by *.*Black_Star*.* » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:47 pm

thanks, and no problem, im full of compassion so whenever you need some drop me a PM :D

plantt
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by plantt » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:49 pm

I had a therapy session yesterday. I have problems showing emotion besides SH.
--what emotion is sh? from the rest of your post i'm guessing maybe you mean shame... just wondered though =)

My new one I have been with 10 months. I know I am going to crack wide open with this one. I am so frightened what is going to come out....rage? Remember more shame?
have you & your therapist been discussing how to deal with emotions when they do start coming out?

Anyone have any suggestions for between sessions? I feel weak,vulnerable, and like I could go crazy...she is stripping my walls away...I know they need to come down....but I am so afraid of this new feeling.
--*nods* plantts have trouble with emotions too. those who've known me long enough can tell you that's rather an understatement ;)

for me... remembering that i logically know... even if the rest of me is screaming otherwise... that emotions are human. that overall they're very good & healthy things. & that it's the choices i make in dealing with them that so often have led to unhealthy things.
& clinging to the fact that i *know* i want to get through... that i *know* i need to deal with emotions & since they've been squashed for so long the first part will be rough... etc... holding to the knowing that even when i can be convinced that it's not worth it & that i don't want to bother.... i know better. i know that i'm lying to myself. even though it feels 100% true at the time... i know better.

also, i'm assuming you're christian as i've seen you post scripture (& really even if not at times certain verses can be comforting)... maybe make a list of bible verses or quotes or whatever that you find comforting or helpful or etc...

i like 2 Cor 12:9-10
& "believe that life is worth living & your belief will help create the fact" William James

delicateshadow
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by delicateshadow » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:48 pm

well done on the breakthrough. it is a well known sign of a good therapy session if you sleep deeply afterwards...I used to come home after my Friday afternoon sessions when they used to be from 3.45-4.45, get in my pjs and sleep....

in time feelings will settle and you'll stabilise, they did for me....takes time though...be patient and compassionate with yourself....

I find that going 3 times a week is really beneficial for me. helps keeps me together as I 'fall apart' metaphorically speaking....

between sessions....reading...artwork..poetry...journalling....support forums...emailing friends....work...plenty of rest....fresh air....exercise....

I used to keep a separate therapy journal, that really helped when the intensity was still very new.
In the Dark and the Deep there are truths that can always heal ~ Ken Wilber

HealMe
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by HealMe » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:32 am

Thank you all for your encouragement....I do appreciate it very much. A friend of mine told me "now that's therapy".....my other one didn't get to the deeper issues.
When I said SH...I meant self harm....but I have plenty of shame feelings also....
I know where to come when I panic....I have all of you :heart: