Reader's Digest Article

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

disastercake
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Reader's Digest Article

Post by disastercake » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:56 pm

I wasn't sure where I should post this, so I'm posting this in a couple different places.

We just received the newest issue of Reader's Digest in the mail today, and on the cover it says something along the lines of "The Game That's Killing Teens Today." Well, in the article it talks about the 'choking game', anorexia, and self-injury. Well, the way they talked about the internet sites angered me. They talked about the proana sites, chatrooms, and sites that are pro-self destructiveness. Apparently the authors chose to ignore the fact that there ARE sites out there that help, that provide advice and support on how to recover and deal with EDs and SI. Either they did not do much research, or they discredited the helpful sites to fit their profile. I think I'm going to write them a letter to open their eyes to the fact that there are places that help online, and not all websites that deal with Eds and SI advocate those things. I also don't like they way they portrayed SI in general. What do you think? What should I include in my letter?

Later I might add an excerpt from the article.
:bfly: -Al :bfly:

"...And once you have tasted flight,
you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been,
and there you long to return..."
- Leonardo da Vinci

My Place

Jessica
one of us
one of us

Post by Jessica » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:24 am

From my experience, there are many more sites like this one that actually help than there are sites that encourage si and ed. Websites like this one help me feel like I'm not alone, which can mean everything in the world. I don't like how Reader's Digest is giving parents the wrong idea about their children and how they might be dealing with these things.

disastercake
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by disastercake » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:25 pm

Thanks, Jessica.

I'm going to start my letter soon, and it's going to be informative, but I'm not going to attack RD or anything.

did you read the article?

for there you have been,
- Leonardo da Vinci

My Place

Jessica
one of us
one of us

Post by Jessica » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:16 am

I have not read the article, but I would like to--was it in a recent issue? I'm pretty sure my mother has a subscription, perhaps we have it.

ebmcs
creating your space
creating your space

Post by ebmcs » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:06 am

I posted a thread on this about 4 hours after yours - didn'tsee yours first!!!! My reaction was similar and I actually sent a letter too!

I included some excerpts from their article so thought I'd link here

viewtopic.php?t=92021
Psalm 91, 107, 139

"Hungry, I come to you for I know you satisfy. I am empty, but I know Your love does not run dry. <br>And so I wait for you. Jesus, you're all this heart is living for. <br>Broken, I run to You for Your arms are open wide. I am weary, but I know Your touch restores my life."<p>

visit <a href="http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php? ... tart=0">my place</a>

disastercake
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by disastercake » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:30 am

ebmcs,
thanks for posting that link to your post, since i haven't gotten around to posting excerpts :)

for there you have been,
- Leonardo da Vinci

My Place

Jessica
one of us
one of us

My piece

Post by Jessica » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:46 pm

I just read this article completely. First of all, I don't think the choking game should be put on the same page as si and anorexia. From what I gather, that game is about achieving a high like being on drugs. That is definitely not what si and anorexia are about. And in this article there are so many references to kids injuring themselves because it's the cool thing to do. I have never known anyone to do it because it's cool. It's a way of coping, and for some kids it's the only way they know how. By looking it up on the internet, I think most kids are just looking for a way to understand what they're going through and find others that are going through the same things. Maybe we do discuss how to cover up scars, but it's a legitimate thing to worry about. If Reader's Digest thinks they're going to help kids by making parents get overly worried about what their kids are doing to themselves, they don't understand that we keep this from them for a reason. We don't feel like we're at the right point in our lives to stop, and when we're ready, we'll come to them. But right now, the internet is a great place to find information and a great way to feel like you're not alone.

PS I thought it was pretty funny how the article mentioned a way to see if your kid is si-- "A rash of cuts on the body are signs of self-injury." Well, DUH.

ebmcs
creating your space
creating your space

Post by ebmcs » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:19 pm

I posted this in the other reader's digest thread too -but they published (part of) my letter in the latest RD - it's the 2nd one.
Psalm 91, 107, 139

"Hungry, I come to you for I know you satisfy. I am empty, but I know Your love does not run dry. <br>And so I wait for you. Jesus, you're all this heart is living for. <br>Broken, I run to You for Your arms are open wide. I am weary, but I know Your touch restores my life."<p>

Miss Scarlett
growing roots
growing roots

Post by Miss Scarlett » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:19 pm

I didn't read the article, but I am offended by the title alone. Specifically, I'm offended by the word "game." It makes SI and ED sound like something we do for fun, or for popularity, or because there isn't anything else to do. As if, "there's nothing on tv today, I guess I'll go cut myself."

GRR...

Whether or not they know about the helpful sites, the helpful sites don't generate as much sensationalism as the pro-sites.

Meh..
~Miss Scarlett~

nori04
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

read it!

Post by nori04 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:08 pm

it is so cool you got your letter in there!!!! It is also cool you are a teacher! I want to be a teacher!!!!!!!!!! I want to be an elementry school teacher!!! this is supposed to go on the hread where the lady got her letter in there.

Jessica
one of us
one of us

Post by Jessica » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:28 pm

When I saw you got a letter published I went out and bought the magazine. You can tell they only published part of your letter. It doesn't really connect back to the article, just explains your situation. What else did you write? Why did they only publish part of it?

Wall
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Wall » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:44 pm

Hmmm, I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something wrong with the article. Something disjointed. I believe it can be shown to be true that the Internet has an influence on destructive behaviors and that some of those influences are themselves destructive. The author certainly didn't attempt to support it with facts, and perhaps that's the problem. The statistics sighted the prevalence of the behaviors in society, but didn't attempt to draw a correlation between the behaviors and internet usage. It's certainly misleading in that way.
Fearless warriors in a picket fence
Reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
Deep water faith in the shallow end
And we are caught in the middle

Somewhere in the Middle
Casting Crowns

ebmcs
creating your space
creating your space

Post by ebmcs » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:22 pm

I guess they cut it out b/c of space!?! and maybe for their "image" too.

Cool that you bought it, Jessica! :) I am semisomewhatnotreallyfamous! haa!!!!

Anyway, here's the full:

Hello,

I am a teacher who has struggled with self-injury for almost ten years. I can understand parts of your article, but I feel that parts of it are misleading.

Most people who suffer from self-injury are in tremendous emotional pain due to circumstances in their life - often abuse or depression. Self-injury is turned to as a coping mechanism on accident during one intense bout of emotion, and then it is turned to again and again because of the addictive relief and escape that it provides.

I am sure that some people turn to self-injury because it is "hip" as the article suggested, however, for many it is a tragic addiction much like alcoholism or drugs. It is not something that most people want to be a part of - but once you start, it is incredibly hard to stop. I know that to me it has never been "cool," but a hidden, shameful struggle that has plagued my life.

I am a part of an online community for self-injurers, and it is a positive thing in my life rather than a danger, as suggested in your article. The moderators on our board do not allow any pictures, graphic details, or pro-self-injury discussion. Most of the people in my community are frustrated with their self-injury and want to find a better, healthier way to cope with emotions - but are struggling with successfully breaking away and moving on. We encourage each other, give each other tips on emotional healing, healthy coping mechanisms, and distractions, and provide support. This is a struggle that is not widely accepted by society, therefore it is invaluable to have a community in which it can be discussed and worked through. Yes, tips on healing or hiding scars are given, but this is simply because we are trying to move on and not let our past and our struggles affect our future and our present. Most of us truly regret each instance that we self-injure, and spend much time discussing and trying to work through this urges with each other. Ages range from youth to senior adults. The teengaers who visit the site regularly are also earnestly seeking recovery and are looking for advice on how to suceed. I have heard over and over again their frustrations with society beginning to see self-injury, their hidden struggle, as a "trend" or "the thing to do."

For us, it is a daily battle and a plague that leaves us with scars on our bodies and in our hearts.
Psalm 91, 107, 139

Wall
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Wall » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:47 am

thank you for posting your letter. it's well written. perhaps someone at rd will decide to do a bit more encompasing article about si. we can hope.
Fearless warriors in a picket fence
Reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
Deep water faith in the shallow end
And we are caught in the middle

Somewhere in the Middle
Casting Crowns