Mindset...Help!

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

disastercake
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Mindset...Help!

Post by disastercake » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:18 am

Okay, I've been setting goals for myself to be SI free for x number of days, and when I reach that number of days, I buy myself a new top or something. Well, when I have reached that goal (like today, yesterday was the 34th day, my goal), I get to thinking "Well, now that I've finally reached x days, I can cut and get started on setting a new goal." Does this happen to anyone else? What can I do to avoid or combat this mindset? Any suggestions? I mean it's not horrible, because I don't give up or anything, and I keep setting longer and longer goals, like next time will be 45. I'm sure that I can eventually quit for good, but even the smallest things might help. After I do cut when I've reached my goal, I usually don't have the urge to do it again right after. It's just kind of, "Okay, I did it, now x days to go before I can do it again."
:bfly: -Al :bfly:

"...And once you have tasted flight,
you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been,
and there you long to return..."
- Leonardo da Vinci

My Place

balletomane
one of us
one of us

Post by balletomane » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:53 am

Perhaps you can reframe how you are thinking about the goal. You could say that you will reward yourself every ten days with something small, then ever 50 something larger, etc. So that you are thinking in terms of a longer running total of days free.

I have no idea if that helps.

Good luck.

:heart:

disastercake
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by disastercake » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:11 pm

that's a good idea, but it's still sort of the same thing
:bfly: -Al :bfly:

"...And once you have tasted flight,
you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been,