Bipolar????

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

sombra-triste
one of us
one of us

Bipolar????

Post by sombra-triste » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:07 pm

Well, i figured out that theres like 85% chance that i'm bipolar, and i heard there's medications that can help it....i'm just curious about the medications....like what does it help exactly, how much will be different, is it actually worth it?

Elfgirl
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Re: Bipolar????

Post by Elfgirl » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:57 pm

Well, there are many different meds used for bipolar and they all work differently and have different effects..it alsod epends on what other meds you might be using.

I have no bipolar and no experience with meds, but here's some general info: http://www.psychologyinfo.com/depressio ... ipolar.htm. If you have a pdoc you might ask him/her about meds.

stormyxoasis
settling in
settling in

Post by stormyxoasis » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:35 am

im bipolar and im on lithium which is the most common mood stabalizer used for bipolar
i am also on welbutrin and celexa foe anxiety.
"I am Who I am" ...God....the one that i dont beileve exsits...but still gives good advice :)

katja
growing roots
growing roots

Post by katja » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:21 pm

take your time with this diagnosis thing, make sure bipolar is not just a quick fix tag from your doctor, ask 4 a second oppinion if you need to.

stormyxoasis
settling in
settling in

Post by stormyxoasis » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:46 pm

katja wrote:take your time with this diagnosis thing, make sure bipolar is not just a quick fix tag from your doctor, ask 4 a second oppinion if you need to.
good pt.
"I am Who I am" ...God....the one that i dont beileve exsits...but still gives good advice :)

green
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Re: Bipolar????

Post by green » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:00 pm

sombra-triste wrote:Well, i figured out that theres like 85% chance that i'm bipolar, and i heard there's medications that can help it....i'm just curious about the medications....like what does it help exactly, how much will be different, is it actually worth it?
have you been diagnosed with it?
"Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, I’m not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you’ve felt that way."
- Charles Bukowski, Gamblers All

Nazgul
bus addict
bus addict

Post by Nazgul » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:32 am

if you do have Bipolar, yes meds DO help, A LOT. I have Bipolar Type II-depressed, and take a concoction of 5 different medications plus two sleep medications. Most people can take significantly fewer pills than I do, but it is all in finding the right medication combination. It can keep you out of the hospital for SU stuff and for mania psychotic stuff. Meds and therapy are your best friends if you have Bipolar.

PS I'm on lithium, lamictal (another mood stabilizer), abilify (anti-psychotic), wellbutrin (anti-depressant), and cymbalta (a new anti-depressant) For sleep I take Ambien (sleeping pill basically) and Seroquel (an anti-psychotic that is very sedating). Oh and I also take Inderol occasionally for the hand tremor I have caused by lithium.
:snail:
"If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell." ~Former US Senator, on touring Texas in the 1800s

*hugs are ALWAYS welcome*

*SI free July 22, 2006-October -November 5, 2010*
*SI free since April 28, 2012*

stormyxoasis
settling in
settling in

Post by stormyxoasis » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:14 am

Nazgul wrote: Oh and I also take Inderol occasionally for the hand tremor I have caused by lithium.
well i thought i was the only one. i take inderal for the same reason

sombra-triste
one of us
one of us

Thanx for all your info

Post by sombra-triste » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:42 am

thanx everyone for your info, i talked to my school councilor first, (the first time i've ever talked to anyone not online about my problems, it was pretty hard) he suggested to talk to my family dr, so i'll do that when i find free time, hopefully all works out well :-?

katja
growing roots
growing roots

Post by katja » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:20 pm

oops ^_^
Last edited by katja on Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

katja
growing roots
growing roots

Post by katja » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:21 pm

i talked to my school councilor first, (the first time i've ever talked to anyone not online about my problems, it was pretty hard) he suggested to talk to my family dr
you shouldn't just diagnose yourself with something. if you havent already talked to a doctor about it where have you got this information from?

it takes a long time to be diagnosed with bipolar, its a very big decision for a doctor to make especially when someone is quite young. But only a doctor can diagnose you with bipolar, you cant just ask to be put on mediation for something they dont even know you have

Nazgul
bus addict
bus addict

Post by Nazgul » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:50 pm

^ I agree with katja bipolar medications can have a lot of negative side-effects, which would be even worse if you don't have bipolar. A bipolar diagnosis will follow you the rest of your life, so you want to make certain it is the right diagnosis before your doc gives it to you. Self-diagnosis in this case can be dangerous.
"If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell." ~Former US Senator, on touring Texas in the 1800s

stormyxoasis
settling in
settling in

Post by stormyxoasis » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:32 pm

katja wrote:
it takes a long time to be diagnosed with bipolar, its a very big decision for a doctor to make especially when someone is quite young.
true but i was 13 when i was diagnoses after 3 wks of observation. and it was correct and the meds have haelped me alot 7 yrs later

Nazgul
bus addict
bus addict

Post by Nazgul » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:24 pm

stormyxoasis wrote:
katja wrote:
it takes a long time to be diagnosed with bipolar, its a very big decision for a doctor to make especially when someone is quite young.
true but i was 13 when i was diagnoses after 3 wks of observation. and it was correct and the meds have haelped me alot 7 yrs later
3 weeks is a long time to be observed, remember some doctors make diagnoses after a 3-minute outpatient visit. This is the kind of diagnosis to be careful of. If you disagree with your pdoc's opinion, go for a second opinion. It took my pdoc a year and a half of getting to know me before he arrived at the conclusion that I have bipolar, but I have bipolar II-depressed so it looks very similar to Major Depression.