Shutting Myself Out (slight trig)

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

broken_words
creating your space
creating your space

Shutting Myself Out (slight trig)

Post by broken_words » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:58 pm

Now what I am doing instead of *si*...shutting myself off from contact with people...i talk to about 3 people...no joke...normally i'm a social butterfly and i'm lively and stuff...but lately i've been shutting myself awawy..does anyone know why i would turn to that instead of si and ed and such....??? help!

See these tears fallin'?
they're pure and true,
but why can these tears,
be truer than you?

2 weeks si free

~Broken_Words~
WRITE ON!!!

dbms
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by dbms » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:01 am

For me it's is one of my first steps toward depression. I tend to reduce my contact with other people, have difficulty laughing, become introspective, etc... It becomes an effort to deal with others and I find it easier to be by myself.

Is there anything that you can think of that has happened to cause a change from your normal state?

Take care..
Mark
I looked for a person who most needed my kindness today and somehow found myself.

mallie
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by mallie » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:50 pm

I find it really hard to keep in contact with people when I'm feeling down. I'm not terribly good at it the rest of the time, but it definitely gets worse. If I'm not dealing with people, I tend to be less stressed out and irritable, which if I were still SI-ing would mean the SI would probably reduce too.

If you're normally really social, shutting yourself off from people won't do you any good. I don't imagine it is a substitution for SI, at least, I can't see how unless you're using separating yourself from people as a punishment (if your SI/ED was about punishing yourself).

It sounds like you think this is a bit of a problematic behaviour. Are you going to do anything about it before it gets worse? Can you re-initiate contact with some of your other friends?

broken_words
creating your space
creating your space

yikes

Post by broken_words » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:51 pm

My SI/ED was for punishment, control, and just plain "dealing"...so yeah. I hate that I won't tell anyone what is going on...my cousin (Niel, a girl) just committed suicide...i found her, Taleeni (my other cousin, Niels sister was with me...but that was yestereday..so yeah i was down before that...

See these tears fallin'?
they're pure and true,
but why can these tears,
be truer than you?

2 weeks si free

~Broken_Words~
WRITE ON!!!

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:46 am

sorry about your cousin