Who do you talk to about your SI?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

disastercake
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Who do you talk to about your SI?

Post by disastercake » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:49 pm

And how did you know you could talk to them?

Personally, I haven't really talked to many people about it. There's a few that know, but only two that I've actually discussed it with. One being my friend I had class with last year, and she's very supportive. The other is my friend's mother. I'm wondering if that's strange... Anyways, she came to me about it. I was very thankful.

So, how about you?
:bfly: -Al :bfly:

"...And once you have tasted flight,
you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been,
and there you long to return..."
- Leonardo da Vinci

My Place

marshmallowfluff
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by marshmallowfluff » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:55 pm

not many people....
I talk on here about it
and on msn to my penpal
but no one else...
"Dance like no one's watching.
Love like you'll never be hurt.
Sing like there's nobody listening.
And live like it's heaven on earth."

kickingmyself
settling in
settling in

Post by kickingmyself » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:04 pm

I don't talk about it with anyone, nobody knows. It's my secret, and I want to keep it that way. I know that my friends would worry and my family wouldn't know how to deal with it. It's been really hard actually coming onto this site because it's an admission of what I do, but I have been kind to my skin for 2 whole weeks now! So that's progress...

Small
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Small » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:09 pm

There is someone who posts on here, who is a good friend of mine, and we can talk to each other when we're in the same place, which is getting more often. He's a huge help, and has given me the confidence to be open about my problem.

Thanks a lot Babyblu, love you loads :)

Small
"I do believe in fairies - I do, I do, I do" Peter Pan

"Fletcher Lynd Seagull, do you want to fly?" Jonathan Livingston Seagull, by Bach - a beautiful story, that changed the way I think. Read it.

Kaelyn
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by Kaelyn » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:05 pm

My mum found out as the first person :( so I talk about it quite often with her... not really the best conversations I've ever had.. she has quite blunt opinions about SI from time to time. Well, from one thing came another, so now my dad and bro&sis also know.
I told four friends about it.. with two of them I discuss it more often (the other two didn't want to have to do too much with it.. so I don't mention it around them).
I try to avoid telling too many people now... I noticed that otherwise, everyone wants to talk about SI with you... I don't want to talk about it 24/7..
And then there's my T. Most of the discussing/talking about SI I do with him.
my place (visitors welcome)
fall seven times, stand up eight

Hope blooms, even in the darkest of places

Blake 1
town councillor
town councillor

Post by Blake 1 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:54 pm

i rarely say anything about it to my friends IRL cause they don't understand and get tired of me dealing with it. my parents ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist. my brother sometimes asks but i never tell him anything. i come on here a lot because no one else understands.
I'm not as
naive
asi wook

Alethea
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Alethea » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:10 pm

I have 2 friends IRL that I can talk to about SI. One used to si when we were in high school together so that's how we started talking about it. Then I have one friend at college who I can talk to about it. I told her during a period when I had stopped because it fit into the conversation. (She used to have an ED.) Usually, I trust people to tell them if I feel that I have sufficient evidence that they will understand or at least be supportive of me. A few other people knew I used to (although not that I had started again) but I never really was able to discuss it with them. Even though I have people I can talk to though, it's still really hard to talk to them because they can't understand even though they support me.
It's something I want to keep hidden yet wish I could openly talk about with others - or at least with someone.
Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advaced experience that shall explain and overlook the old.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Visit my place: http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=85389

toXic
creating your space
creating your space

Post by toXic » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:32 pm

2 friends in real life... and then here on bus.

DecemberLivy
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by DecemberLivy » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:40 pm

i have bus, and thats all really. my friends know about my SI and my mum knows but we never talk about it. i dont even talk about it that much on bus
<center>my walpole cafe

"My life's a mess"
"That's the way it's supposed to be" - soap -
</center>

I think I'll paint roads
on my front room walls
to convince myself
that I'm going places.

disastercake
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by disastercake » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:04 am

Aletha, your situation sounds almost exactly like mine.

for there you have been,
- Leonardo da Vinci

My Place

rainbowFAILURE
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by rainbowFAILURE » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:50 am

Well, my mum and dad found out but I don't talk to them about it and they think I have stopped anyway which suits me fine.

I can;t talk to my friends about anything...so I guess I am just left to talking to C's about it.

dbms
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by dbms » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:27 pm

I talk to my therapist and the folks on bus. Other than that no-one until I joined here. One, there are few (if any) people I know who would understand. Two, I don't trust people enough not to talk.

My wife knows that I have SI'd in the past but talking to her just upsets her terribly and then I have two problems to deal with, my own struggle and supporting her emotional state. It's a little more than I am willing to take on right now. I can cope with my state - most of the time I don't feel much of anything.
Mark
I looked for a person who most needed my kindness today and somehow found myself.

faerie-reject
creating your space
creating your space

Post by faerie-reject » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:52 pm

I told my girlfriend at the time it first happened...she was a 'caring' holistic practitioner, or so I thought. I never saw her again.
I told my best friend the first time too. He still asks occasionally, but he was so worried, I tell him I've stopped.

dbms, I don't trust people not to talk either. I think they would (understandably) relieve their own concern by talking to yet someone else about it.

Consequently I am really hoping this forum will help. Even just reading the posts is reassuring.

P.

dbms
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by dbms » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:49 pm

P. I'm hoping the same thing for bus as well. I can openly discuss what's happening with me and get some fairly objective thoughts in response. It certainly helps that I know people here can relate.

Sorry about the g/f. That must have hurt.
Mark
I looked for a person who most needed my kindness today and somehow found myself.

disastercake
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by disastercake » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:44 pm

I was VERY apprehensive about talking to people about it, and no one really knows everything, or even close. But, my friend's mother totally emphasized about not telling anyone and that she'd never hurt me like that...yada yada... It was almost to the point of being fake, but I could tell she was sincere. Then she told me that there is NO WAY I can quit without professional help. And there goes all my trust...

for there you have been,
- Leonardo da Vinci

My Place

faerie-reject
creating your space
creating your space

Post by faerie-reject » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:11 am

Thanks, dbms!

And, dcake, I am truly sorry for the let down by your friend's mum.
I can totally empathise. I really thought my lassie at the time would understand.

Another friend I briefly told confessed to me that she then thought of trying it herself. That really really scared me. I felt truly awful for saying anything. I still do. Since then I have found she talks about her problems and other people's with others, so I don't really confide in her about anything now.

It's hard to know whether I can risk confiding in anyone else anymore.

P.

SpecialBlend
creating your space
creating your space

Post by SpecialBlend » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:15 am

I confessed to my ex and my best friend, but now they have all but stopped talking to me.

There is a girl downstairs that knows. She's the only lifeline i have left
<a href="http://www.toxin.org/cgi-bin/hugs.cgi?& ... lend">give SpecialBlend a *HUG*</a><br><small><a href="http://www.toxin.org/cgi-bin/gethugs.cgi">Get hugs of your own</a></small><br clear="all"></center>

isbyangel87
settling in
settling in

Post by isbyangel87 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:32 pm

The first person I told was my best friend that is on bus also. She convinced me to talk to our band teacher who had helped hwe with her si. Then I told my other best friend but he totally freaked out about it and told me to stop. Well that didn't happen. It got to the point where he would just get mad at me when I would do it but he wouldn't say anything to me about it. Then the last person I told was my ex which I regret so much because I dodn't even trust him and my guess is that he has already told everyone we know about me. And that is all who I have told.
IN LOVING MEMORY OF MR. HICKEY(LEHUA)

Having a bad day Isabel?
I'll see you 2nd period then.
Was your bus late again Isabel?

Can I have a Big Mac with an Iced Tea, no lid, no straw, and three sugar cookies please.
Remember Hawaii Hickey? Hawaiian Hunks or Hula Chicks. Is it a guy or is it a girl Hickey?

TTFN Ta Ta For Now
I'll miss you Hickey and Take Care up there in Heaven and don't worry you'll do great directing a band of angels. I mean they're angels they can't be as bad as us. J/K

stephy
one of us
one of us

Post by stephy » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:20 pm

I don't talk to anyone I feel like everyone looks down on me for it :(
stephy

rosie605
creating your space
creating your space

Post by rosie605 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:32 am

i've told 3 people about it. A good friend of mine thats a bit older than me and I consider her more of a mentor. she's always really supportive and has tried to get me to see a therapist.
Another friend knows about it but we don't talk about it.
My mother-in-law knows about it and asks me how i'm doing occasionally... i don't know if you can consider that "talking about it"
But the struggles make you stronger
And the changes make you wise
And happiness has its own way of takin it's sweet time
No, life aint always beautiful
Tears will fall sometimes
Life aint always beautiful
But it's a beautiful ride

"Teaching is the profession that makes all other professions possible."

http://lessonsoflife23.blogspot.com/