Telling your friends

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Small
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Telling your friends

Post by Small » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:43 am

I was wondering if people could tell me how they told their friends - if you have told them that is - that you SI.

It would really help me to know how other people have done it, because I don't want to have to hide forever from some of the people in my life.

Please help

plantt
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by plantt » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:35 am

depends on the friend :)
personally... i like telling people through email or writing first... because it gives them time to digest what's said before replying/dealing face-to-face. & although it'd not be an important thing for everyone i think it is for some.

roseblum15
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by roseblum15 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:33 am

I sat in the car with her smoking a cig. and asked if she knew what self injury was. She said yes, and I told her that I do it. From there we just talked and so far its all been good.

pretty
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by pretty » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:50 am

One friend I wrote a letter to, and that worked really well. It meant he could come to me and talk about it when he was ready.

The rest, it's just sort of been a gradual thing. I never used to wear short sleeves if I was just around friends, so they just sort of worked it out for themselves. Hmmm. Not the best way of telling someone, but it didn't really work the way it sounds. The si started gradually, so they became aware of it gradually, like everything else about me that developed while I was growing up.

I think a letter or email is a really good way, as plantt said. It worked really well for me.
'this is what she says gets her through it,
"if I don't let myself be happy now, then when?"' - jimmy eat world

place

sug160489
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by sug160489 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:26 am

Depends on the friend, one worked it out for herself and so i admitted it too her.

Another friend i just said, have u ever noticed cuts or anything on anyone and when she said yeah ive seen that b4 i told her i did and then later found out she did as well

Most of my friends i have said can we talk and then told them that sometimes i feel like i cant cope and so i SI and then explained to them wat it meant to me and asked them if they had anything to say and then told them wat if anything i needed off them as friends
:o Zombie Sarah