suggestions about self anger?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

strmdncr
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

suggestions about self anger?

Post by strmdncr » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:58 pm

I'm looking for any suggestions anyone has as to how to redirect or stop anger that you may be feeling towards yourself. For instance right now I'm feeling annoyed that I've reached the point with things going on that I couldn't take care of them myself and am now on as needed/when needed meds (which I still probably don't take as often as needed) and I feel kind of disappointed and angry with myself about that. Not that I think taking medications when they are needed is a bad thing, just that for myself I see it as not having taken proper care of myself up to that point. Then my boss called this morning and I accepted another work shift tomorrow, knowing that's going to end up making for ten hours out of the house which is going to cause extra stress that I don't need at this time. Now sitting here thinking why didn't I take care of myself, why did I agree to do something that I know is going to further my stress at this time? Basically any thoughts anyone has on how to turn that kind of thinking around, redirect it into more positive thinking or such, it would be greatly appreciated.
A friend is someone who believes in you even when you've ceased to believe in yourself. (unknown)

strmdncr's sanctuary
strmdncr speaks

collide
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by collide » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:31 pm

this is what my sister recommended me, esp when i have si urges because i am so upset or angry....she told me to get a punching bag and box the hell out of it, even yell, and also put tape papers of words and in my case ppl i am pissed off at...i haven't gotten the punching bag yet...she also told me i can punch my pillow or mattress....i wish i was as wise as her...

collide

Tamrick
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Tamrick » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:40 pm

First you have to learn to be gentle to yourself. You've already done yourself harm by not looking after yourself as well as you'd like - don't make it worse by then being harder on yourself.

Could you speak to your boss about the job perhaps and get the shift cancelled or reduced - just tell him something came up and you xcan't do it anymore if you don't want to.

Secondly take a deep breath and even count to ten if you have to. Remind yourself that you are a normal person and make mistakes and that that is ok. No one in the whole world looks after themselves perfectly every minute - I'm diabetic and forget my meds sometimes or eat what I shouldn't or don't exercise enough (the list goes on forvever) If I beat myself up over all those things I'd never even have one second to enjoy life. Just let yourself be occassionally.

*hugs*
Tamrick
“A Sunrise is God's way of saying, "Let's start again.”
― Todd Stocker