*SI* i'm new

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

chasesgurl130
one of us
one of us

*SI* i'm new

Post by chasesgurl130 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:36 pm

i am new at this. i guess i want help, but i am really doing it for the man in my life. i have gone from just a little low to a cutting bulimic. i have kicked te bulimia for the most part, and i tried to stop cutting before. it hasn't worked. i have gotten used to the cuts and like having them there. but i want to stop. i have a lot going on and it seems like i have more and more trouble handling it all so i would cut. and i am not getting anwhere. but i guess my point is...where do i start now that i am ready to stop?

pretty
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by pretty » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:01 pm

Hey, welcome to bus :)

Where to start? Well, for me it was finding one thing I enjoyed that could replace si. Do you know what you get from si? It's different for everyone, but a big part of it for me was comfort and taking care of myself afterwards. I started to find things I could do to fill that need without hurting myself, like reading. That's how I quit in the first place. After the first few weeks though I started to work things out a bit more, figure out the things that helped me and the things that make me happy and spend time on those.

In the beginning you sort of have to take it as it comes, in small steps. It took me a while to realise I didn't need si, that there were other more effective and healthy ways to cope with things. Everyone is different though, so my best advice is to keep trying things and see what works for you.

How did you beat bulimia? You might be able to transfer the principle to help you stop si'ing.

Anyway, welcome, and well done for wanting to stop. Beating bulimia is pretty huge, if you can get through that I'm sure you can get through this :)
'this is what she says gets her through it,
"if I don't let myself be happy now, then when?"' - jimmy eat world

place

chloe312
settling in
settling in

Post by chloe312 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:28 am

hey welcome to bus
im quite new two, jst find it helpful to talk to people who r in th same position, people that can understand what ur goin thru n not jst say it. hav been si free for 2 months, exept one major come down last week. i find it helpful to keep busy, focus on something, i use art a lot aswell. also hav a great frend that i can talk or jst cry to, maybe sum1 like that cud help you?
but these cuts are not for death but life
do not be alarmed at the way i strive
marks on my body are a small price to pay
for freedom from hell and a new dawning day

chin up, staying strong

CHECK OUT MY PLACE.....http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=85641

plantt
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by plantt » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:24 am

what have you tried?
what sorts of things are you struggling to deal with atm?
one thing you might try are the questions on the before & after forum. some people find it helpful in terms of thinking through urges... also i'd suggest thinking through the questions *before* there's a strong urge going on. like 'ok this is something i've found tough in the past... let's work through it in case it happens again...' instead of waiting for an 'omg this is HARD panichelpeek!'
:) btw welcome to the board

morganna
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by morganna » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:52 pm

welcome to bus :)

my name is louise and i also am fighting bulimia. well done for almost beating it :star: deciding to try and stop cutting is a big step. write down all the reasons you want to stop so you can look at them when you are feeling triggered. when you want to cut try some other things like snapping an elastic band against your wrist or drawing on yourself with red pen (non permanent :P ). i find drawing dark pictures with thick pencils helps me get out some of my stress.

good luck
:1hug: