Coping with yourself

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

BrokenGurl
growing roots
growing roots

Coping with yourself

Post by BrokenGurl » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:05 pm

How do you learn to cope with who your are?....like that you have faults and imperfections....
speak as though noone's listening....

joetennis
one of us
one of us

Post by joetennis » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:39 am

I'm an activist and a feminist, and one of the ways I overcame anorexia was by educating myself on how the need for skinniness is a cultural, social disease. I made it political. "Take up space." "Start a revolution: love your body."

Looking like a waif is giving in.

Eating is sticking it to the man.

A physical way of learning to cope with what I hate(d) about mysefl was to recognize what triggers that self-hate, and then to find a way to remove the trigger. For me that meant taking away full-length mirrors, fitted clothes (I only wear baggy clothes I buy in the boys section or from thrift stores where I can't find size tags), sexiness, clothes shopping, makeup, scales, television, and socializing where or when attractiveness is the conversation.

I hope these ideas are of some help.

plantt
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by plantt » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:08 am

for me it's been pretty much the opposite :) clothing-wise. i grew up being taught basically that showing much skin was wrong. showing curves. liking my body. etcetc.
like joetennis... i accepted by doing. i stopped wearing baggy clothes so much. i don't wear boys clothes so often. i've learned by telling myself repeatedly & being told(well not with these exact words ;)) that it's *ok* that i'm a woman. it's *ok* that i have a womans body. it's *ok* that i have curves.
i don't cringe ashamedly anymore when i wonder if my bra straps might be noticed. or if my collarbone shows.

with other things... it's kind of the same concept. doing it over & over & over. finding out that even though it might seem like an awful thing to me.. it might not seem so bad to others.
like... letting people know i have mental disorders. knowing that some people will take it matter-of-factly... is a good thing. it's not something that *everyone* will take badly. sure... some people will. yet knowing that some people also will take me for who i am... helps *me* to do the same.
the same with grades i think are less than acceptable. knowing that others don't see those quite as badly as i do... can be helpful

while i definitely can't say that it's a sudden 'well my gosh. i might be an alright person :blush:' thing.. it can help. it's more of a process than an instant cure unfortunately :grnstar:

red umbrellas
beyond inspiring
beyond inspiring

Post by red umbrellas » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:59 am

Hmm, I'm not sure entirely, and Plantt's right...it's a very gradual process. But to me, simply watching other people reminds you that everyone's different, and everyone's flawed, whether they can recognise that or not.

I also found that finding something else I could focus on really helped. Being a bit of a nerd, throwing myself into my uni work was good, reading was good, music was good. Took my into a different world for a bit, when I didn't have to focus on my flaws.

Finding a really positive role model/aim can be good too...for me, like joetennis, it was sort of political. I focussed on finding out things in the world, joining politcal forums and so on, where there was a lot of arguing, but a lot of respect of different ideas. That way, it was less how I looked, and more how I thought (other than about myself) that was important.

I don't know if this entirely makes sense :roll: But I hope that it's in some way helpful.
It's all life and fire and lunacy
And excuses and excuses and excuses

Hold On To Yourself - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

"We paint a picture of a scenario - and then we become afraid of it" - Andrea Fella