Craving food *eating dissorder*

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Craving food *eating dissorder*

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:22 am

What do you do to distract yourself? What can i do in place of eating. For my entire life food as always been there to make me feel better.

I want to stop this binging cycle but i dont know what i can do. I need to put something in my mouth now. I had enough food for dinner. I even had desert.

I know i ate enough but i feel like i need a huge big stake and an extra large icecream. I can eat a huge buffet of food but i know this would be wrong cause i would be giving into my binge.

I feel like binging because of my crappy day. I need to stop, what has worked for others with eating dissorders?

Chey

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:58 am

Last edited by Guest on Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mindpoison
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Mindpoison » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:54 am

I'm on the opposite side of the ED spectrum as well, but to manage hunger I drink lots of water (flavored water most of the time for taste) and tea. Cherry cough drops help too...they're really yummy and sweet [edited- thatway].
<center>

:purpstar: :purpstar: :purpstar:

It's easy to be miserable. Being happy is tougher - and cooler. </center>

jaded melody
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by jaded melody » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:17 am

There are many things that can make you crave food, biologicaly speaking. You could have a low blood sugar level because its been too long since you ate, in which case, eat a banana because that will make you feel better without having to binge. You could be craving something salty if you are used to eating salty foods or sugar. Work out exactly what you're craving and allow yourself a little bit. Then stop. I know that controlling yourself is difficult when you have an ED, but the faster you learn how to gain control of your eating the faster you can overcome food.

If you tend to comfort-eat, focus on replacing your comfort foods with healthier ones. For example, people tend to binge on things like chocolate because of the sugar rush and because they stimulate your brain to release endorphins. Instead, eat an apple, which also stimulates that endorphin rush, or better yet, go for a run, do some exercise. Your brain releases those endorphins when you exercise so it will make you feel good. And you will feel healthier. I find exercise makes me feel less hungry. AND it will distract you and, if you go out for a run, you'll be away from food and it wont be accesible.

Chewing gum is also a good idea. Having some coffee or a hot drink with caffiene is beneficial [edited- thatway]

Thats my thoughts.
Need any more help? PM me.
"Between two worlds life hovers like a star,
twixt night and morn, upon the horizon's verge."
- Lord Byron

reallycreamed
building community
building community

Post by reallycreamed » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:33 pm

try warm drinks or hard candies. [edited- thatway]
good luck
:grnstar: circles and circles and circles again :grnstar:
:1cat: :100_days_si_free:

angelic212
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by angelic212 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:31 pm

try and do something like drawing or any other activity that you may enjoy doing that doesnt deal with food. for example take a class on something you like, or do scrapbooking or some thing creative, take a walk instead of binging , do some exercise in moderation. dance

remember this formula

HALT

H (never get too hungry)
A( never get angry)
L( never get too lonely)
T (never get too tired)

i think thats the way it goes

also use positive affirmations. please pm me i woul like to talk to about some other stuff i have some other info that might help you i have an eating disorder website if you check out my link thats its in my signature called "my reflection" it will have alot of information on ed recovery and stuff, i hope that you find it helpful please pm me though i would like to talk to you.

Chessie
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by Chessie » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:28 am

Cravings for certain things can mean different things. Craving salt can mean you are low in certain vitamins minerals, necessary nutrients.

Craving sugar can be low blood sugar....or depending on the type of sugery item you are craving it can mean a variety of other things.

It might be a good idea to see a nutionist who really knows their stuff.

Also, getting a meal plan in place that will give you the right size portions, and snacks so don't feel like you are starving.

lastly, are you eating enough earlier in the day? That's my number, I don't eat enough at breakfast lunch or snack times, and then I end up binging later on because I haven't really eaten and my poor body is soooo hungry.

Just a thought.

-Chessie
<B><center>:star: SI free since September 16th, 2004 :star:</center><center><b> :bfly: hugs welcomed :pinkstar: </b>

My Service Dog Indy

Slightly Crazy
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by Slightly Crazy » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:31 am

I answered this for you in the other place you posted (((HUGS())) im here if you want to talk

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:24 am

There are many ways in tricking your body to think its eating, or ways to relieve your cravings in other ways.

The most effective way to deal with your cravings is to find out WHY food is a source of comfort for you, and how you can relieve your stress by understanding it and fighting the thoughts behind it.

What are your feelings behind needing food?

If you say food is a comfort, what is it you are trying to comfort yourself about?

How else can you get this comfort? See friends, do other things you enjoy, go out, read, exercise, etc?

:star:
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:33 pm

Thanks for the posts. The last post too was really good. I do need to stop myself and ask why i want a particular food.

I guess all the reason to get my computer up and running again so i can use photoshop 7.

Chey