physically taking care of myself (ideas please)

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Martin
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

physically taking care of myself (ideas please)

Post by Martin » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:18 am

I think I'll be able to greatly reduce the amount of time I spend picking at my skin if I find ways to actually take care of myself. Somehow, it's soothing to even have the illusion of this, though it's hard to explain why. I have some ideas, but I need more - esp. ones that are very tactile and ones I can do when I'm out and about.

What I have so far:
:star: putting on lotion
:star: taking a bath (or just washing my face)
:star: giving my feet a massage
:star: visualization
:star: filing my nails
:star: combing my hair
:star: shaving

Can anyone add to this list?

plantt
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by plantt » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:23 am

--wear a nonbreakable or not too breakable... piece of jewelry(eg. rubber bracelets)... they're an easy way(or relatively easy for me at times) way to remember to use them rather than myself
--smallish toys... eg. the couple inch high plastic aliens or toy soldier or rubber ball... for me they work well because they're pocket-sized & i'm known for being a bit juvenile anyway.. & they're not so attention-getting that they're seen as just *too* odd
--clothes that have strings... eg. the stuff with pockets that tie or such
--if you drive... get a steering wheel cover & sometimes use it & sometimes not

NobodyToYou
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by NobodyToYou » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:37 am

Hot chocolate!
This one might or might not work for you...I saw someone who used it for a hyperactive child...They carried a small bottle (sample size) of his dad's cologne (his dad was away for a long time) and it calmed him down to smell it. So, find a favorite scent and smell it when you are calm...do that several times...and then when you are not so calm, try smelling it and see if it helps calm you down.
Can't think of any others right now...hope these help.

Martin
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

slight SI trig?

Post by Martin » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:45 am

Thanks for the ideas; I'll definitely keep them in mind. The thing is, I'm really looking for ways to actively take care of my physical body in some way. I think part of the reason I pick at scabs, zits, whatever is that I want to be taken care of and I want to take care of something. The thing is, doing that backfires - causes more zits and sometimes even scars. So I'm looking for stuff I can directly use to replace it... something I can do instead that won't leave me feeling like I'm neglecting something, or all yucky and gross... does that make sense?

plantt
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by plantt » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:16 am

hmm i was kinda on the wrong track :) no other ideas... sorry :grnstar:

Mindpoison
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Mindpoison » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:07 am

-Facial masks and peels (a peelable mask may satisfy your urge to pick at your skin; and if you're into picking at things...I also let glue dry on my arms/hands then pick at it and peel it off)
-Use a flavored lip balm
-Bubble baths, bath beads and salts
-Brush your teeth (Crest Vanilla Mint toothpaste tastes really good)
-I have a pair of 'bath gloves' that I got at The Body Shop. They're textured gloves that you use to lather yourself up that I find very soothing. The Body Shop is generally a great place to shop for skin care and pampering yourself. I've gotten little personal wooden massagers there, and things like nail brushes.
<center>

:purpstar: :purpstar: :purpstar:

It's easy to be miserable. Being happy is tougher - and cooler. </center>

jamie28

Post by jamie28 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:28 am

exercise, maybe?

it releases endorphins (which is the same thing the body releases when we si) so you can get the same "rush" while doing something "good" for yourself.

just a thought.

jamie

Martin
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Martin » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:09 pm

Thanks for the ideas

Oblivion
orange smartie
orange smartie

Post by Oblivion » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:17 pm

Mindpoison wrote:-Facial masks and peels (a peelable mask may satisfy your urge to pick at your skin; and if you're into picking at things...I also let glue dry on my arms/hands then pick at it and peel it off)
-Use a flavored lip balm
-Bubble baths, bath beads and salts
-Brush your teeth (Crest Vanilla Mint toothpaste tastes really good)
-I have a pair of 'bath gloves' that I got at The Body Shop. They're textured gloves that you use to lather yourself up that I find very soothing. The Body Shop is generally a great place to shop for skin care and pampering yourself. I've gotten little personal wooden massagers there, and things like nail brushes.
Great ideas! I was gonna suggest the body shop treats like hair deep conditioning treatments or face masks.
May the fleas of a thousand camels infect the crotch of anyone who screws up your day, and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Oblivions Outcast Cave - All welcome

Skyeler
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Skyeler » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:55 am

um....

shave properly... I know I always do the whole like shave in five minutes before you have to leave hte house while you'Re trying to put your shoes on thing....

And most of the time that just makes your skin very angry at you... specially your face... so just like take time to properly do it....

that's my idea....

although you may be smarter than me and already actually take m ore time and caution when holding a sharp object near your face...

:tongue:

Most of the time I feel like I don't belong.
But I got my new favorite record today.
My favorites change every single day.
Except you,
You'll always be number one.
[/center]

red umbrellas
beyond inspiring
beyond inspiring

Post by red umbrellas » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:24 am

whoah, really hear you on this one, as I have the same trouble myself.

Once, I even pulled out nearly every hair left on my leg with tweezers, just to avoid picking at my face.
Sometimes I overwash my hands as an avoidance. I've also found gently blowing my nose (even if I don't really need to) helps. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it involves physically touching my face, and also provides a brief distraction.
Having a glass of water, very slowly can also be good.
It's all life and fire and lunacy
And excuses and excuses and excuses

Hold On To Yourself - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

"We paint a picture of a scenario - and then we become afraid of it" - Andrea Fella

reallycreamed
building community
building community

Post by reallycreamed » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:04 pm

applying lip balm.
i do it compulsively all day long, and it helps remind me to take care of my skin...
b
:grnstar: circles and circles and circles again :grnstar:
:1cat: :100_days_si_free: