why do i do this?*SI*

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

lordtakemeway
one of us
one of us

why do i do this?*SI*

Post by lordtakemeway » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:30 am

why do i feel the need to cut myself just to see the scars on my arms? why do i have to do this to feel alive and try to feel a little bit normal? i know these are lot of questions and nobody maybe able to answer but will somebody please try.
~~~~~~~needbigtimehelp~~~~~~~

plantt
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by plantt » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:32 am

although i could answer those somewhat for myself... my answers could be very different from answers that would be accurate for you...
what are your thoughts about what the answers might be?

VowsOfSadness
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by VowsOfSadness » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:36 am

dont feel weird. Though I hate to admit it many times I have cut just to see scars on my arms, in fact it may just be one of teh things I miss, but I would lie and say "oh no it was because .........blah blah". It wasn't the only reason I cut i'm just saying taht sometimes it was.

I'm sorry your feeling a down.
*Challenges welcome*
I always love a :lpurpstar:

I woke up this morning, I suddenly realized we're all in this together.

Drop by my place & say hi :)
Ask me anything!!!

I'm fully Recovered!

arianwen1174
building community
building community

Post by arianwen1174 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:58 am

The answers to these questions are different for everyone, for sure. I do hope you have someone irl to talk to about this stuff and work it out with. If not, I hope you'll try to find someone (counselor or whomever). Keep writing if it helps and take care of yourself in the ways that help you most. :1hug3:
Kali (previously known as Michelle)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Hugs are always welcome!
I'm not around much and rarely reply to folks but being here always helps me. You're all amazing.

limestone
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by limestone » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:26 am

maybe because you're not sure what else to do?
but I agree with Plantt, what are your thoughts? because it's going to be different for everyone. :uhhh:

lordtakemeway
one of us
one of us

my feelings

Post by lordtakemeway » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:57 pm

i mean i wanna stop i really do i just havent found a way to stop myself yet. i mean i guess i could try other methods and still get to see the marks on my arms, rite? but what are some other methods that would give me that without me cutting myself? if somebody could at least give me some ideas about what i do besides cut then ill could try them. any ideas? i think one of the reasons is that it has become a part of who i am as a human over the past couple of years. but if i stop wont i lose a part of myself? help me somebody so confused
~~~~~~~needbigtimehelp~~~~~~~

mallie
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by mallie » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:25 am

Some people find that drawing or writing on themselves with washable markers can help. Especially using a red marker of some kind.

Squeezing red food dye out, in a cutting motion can have the same visual effect as cutting, and has helped some people.

What would help really depends on why you feel you need to see scars on yourself. What purpose does it serve? The reasons why people SI are many and varied, but usually it involves some kind of expression of emotion that you aren't managing to do in other ways. When do you want to SI - is it associated with a certain feeling ? If so, perhaps finding other healthy ways to express/deal with that would be useful to stop cutting.

It is possible to give up SI and not lose yourself. In fact, you're likely to find out more about yourself, and become more in touch with your feelings and your body if you're not harming yourself. It can be hard work, but you have it in you.