Don't want to lose myself

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Anya Maria Romero
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Don't want to lose myself

Post by Anya Maria Romero » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:52 pm

I was considering going a treatment center to get help but then I realized that cutting has become part of who I am and I don't want to lose such an important part of my identity.

Any thoughts?
Signature coming soon!

mallie
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by mallie » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:28 pm

Just because it is part of your behaviour, doesn't make it a part of you.

Are you happy with having that as something so central in your life? I would think giving up something like cutting would be a really positive direction to take your life in, but it is important that you know why you would be changing that.

sassy koala
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by sassy koala » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:24 pm

I agree with Mallie. It seems as though you view it as a somewhat negative thing, otherwise you wouldn't consider treatment. However, if that is the case, why would you want it to remain a part of you.
I also think that it isn't a part of you. It is a behavior (as Mallie said). I don't think it will ever be a part ofyou, because it's something you can change.

limestone
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by limestone » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:11 pm

it's scary to consider changing something you do that has become a part of who you are. you don't have to do it all at once, but slowly. maybe even just thinking about it is enough at the moment. then get some info and then consider it again in light of the info. after that you will have more info to make a decision and even that can be taken slowly. getting help doesn't have to be rushed but if done at your own pace you can feel more in control and comfortable.

take care,
limestone :star:

Anya Maria Romero
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by Anya Maria Romero » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:23 am

its good to know that i can take my time and that it doesent have to be done all at one time
Signature coming soon!