giving up smoking and urge contol

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

MocaJava
one of us
one of us

giving up smoking and urge contol

Post by MocaJava » Tue May 31, 2005 4:05 am

I want to quit smoking. That in itself is hard enough, but just to make it harder for me, I always have the urge to SI when I'm stressed. Sometimes I feel like I dont have any reason exept boredom to do it, but in truth I'm just stressed in general, from being over worked or university studies. I'm about to finish at uni, hooray for me, and I always promised I'd quit smoking then. It seems I've decided this is the time to quit a lot of things.... so any suggestions on how to stay calm while quitting?
-end-

mallie
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by mallie » Tue May 31, 2005 2:29 pm

For quitting smoking, have a look at this post, and check out the please be healthy board (you'll need to click Usergroups and request membership before you'll be able to see it). They might have some specific ideas.

For SI, dealing with the underlying causes tends to help. If you SI from boredom, keep yourself occupied with things you enjoy, if its stress, do things that relive stress, like exercise and relaxation. Another thing to try, is to check out the Before & After board, and look at the questions on there, and use them when an urge sets in to try and work out where it is coming from.

Different things work for different people, but it is great that you're making the choice to look after yourself and stop these things :)