Exercise to beat urges

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

marylou
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Exercise to beat urges

Post by marylou » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:45 pm

To be honest I've never been a big fan of sport and I've gotten away with it in my figure, but recently I've started going to boxfit classes (like aerobics with boxing moves) and it's amazing! It totally gets out all my aggression, tires me out and releases like a million happy hormones. I feel so good afterwards :D
Also started taking salsa dancing lessons, so much fun!

Never really believed my doctor when they talked about exercise to lift your mood etc, but I'm finding it really does work.
Any other good sports to help release the urges?
"You loosen my chains and just ask me to trust you. But it's so much easier this way, even though I know that I am bound."

pos
settling in
settling in

exercise

Post by pos » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:12 pm

I would like to exercise more. My leg is healing nicely according to the doctor i saw today. I found three kittens behind a bush near my apartment. i hope my neighbor takes them.
Love, pos

mely
building community
building community

Post by mely » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:23 pm

I absolutely love to exercise, it keeps me sane. I work out six days a week, and it is the best thing for my mood. I need to work out to get rid of all the stress and excess energy. I love running the best, when I'm pissed off and have had a bad day, I just blast my music and get it all out. It's such a rush afterwards, it is just the best feeling. Honestly, I don't know where I would be today if I didn't have that outlet!

NobodyToYou
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by NobodyToYou » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:53 pm

I really liked taking karate in college. It isn't aerobic, but it was fun. I really enjoyed sparring matches against classmates. Some of my friends and I kept at it after the class ended. Unfortunantly, I started to realize that it wasn't very healthy for me...it was before I started SIing, but I realized that for me, getting hit and bruised (my friends didn't know about they were hitting me that hard) shouldn't be my favorite form of exercise. So I stopped...but I really miss it.

Koru
town councillor
town councillor

Post by Koru » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:08 pm

The only thing that can stop my SI urges a lot of the time is excersise. It is only when I am excersing every day that I have a chance of not SI'ing. Swimming is good (and keeps me worrying about marks etc which helps stop me) but I love the gym too.

I can work out until I'm exhausted, if I really need to I can push myself until I hurt but not damage my body, I get a great post excersise endorphin rush and then i'm so tired i have to go home and sleep. Great :)

I hadn't realised that it was only when I stopped excersising (I was away on a trip) that the SI came back. So I'm back in the gym, I guess it also makes me feel like I'm doing something postive for my body.

Koru
- Always look towards the sunshine and your shadows will fall behind you -

RG
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by RG » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:28 pm

For me rugby is my savior. Kickboxing is also a close second. Everytime I play rugby though it's like I am on a permanent high (seems identical to hospital drugs asthma related). I rely on gut instinct and only I can push myself as far as possible. They may be rough and I end up with icebags glued to my body but it's the best nonself harming coping mechanism I got

lauryn
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by lauryn » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:03 pm

i used to coach and play waterpolo.
i used to play basketball and swim
its hard whenyou dont have the desire
or that fire under your arse.

great suggestion
i love babies

marylou
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by marylou » Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:32 pm

Missed my boxfit class this week and I'm totally feeling more urges. Just goes to confirm that exercise is a great help in my continuing SH free-ness!! Had to close the curtains, put o na loud cd and dance round my house for a while...
I know what you mean lauryn, I'm lucky coz two girls from my uni class force me to go with them when I can't be bothered. Most helpful!
"You loosen my chains and just ask me to trust you. But it's so much easier this way, even though I know that I am bound."