Do I need Help?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Reisu
post laureate
post laureate

Do I need Help?

Post by Reisu » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:41 pm

I've been SH-ing for about four months now, and have done so nine or ten times. I'm not a very confident person, and sometimes I don't like myself very much (theres a story behind that but it's not too relavent). Lately, I find I'm SH-ing more often. I did so about an hour or two ago, and I didn't even feel bad or whatever. I just wanted to, if that makes any sense. I like doing it.
Well, my parents found out a few weeks back, and asked me if I wanted to have councelling. I wasn't too hot on the idea at the time, and although I don't really want to stop SH-ing, I guess I should. It's worrying everyone around me, and that just makes me feel worse.
So what do you guys think? I know it's up to me really, but I'm indecisive :tongue:
(◡‿◡✿)
"I'M A DISGUSTING WORTHLESS BILGESACK ON THE GARGANTUAN TEAT OF A LABORING, LEPROUS MUSCLEBEAST. MY SELF ESTEEM IS SO SMALL, ITS EXISTENCE IS A MATTER OF CONJECTURE AMONG THEORETICAL PHYSICISTS. THE ODOR MY BODY MAKES HAS MADE POETS CRY. I UNFAIRLY PULVERIZE THE COMPETITION IN ASSHOLE PAGEANTS, AND I HAVE RECEIVED A LIFETIME BAN FROM UGLY CONTESTS BY PRESIDENT SHITFACE HIMSELF. MY BLOOD IS NOT FIT TO FLOW THROUGH A SEWER, AND MY SIGN IS A PICTOGRAPHIC SYMBOL THAT LOOSELY TRANSLATES AS "PLEASE HIKE THESE PANTS UP TO THIS GUY'S ARMPITS, CHAIN HIM TO A FLOGGING JUT, AND MAKE A FUCKING EXAMPLE OUT OF THIS SORRY SACK OF SHIT." WHEN I LOOK IN A MIRROR, MY REFLECTION SLOWLY SHAKES HIS HEAD WHILE I WET MYSELF IN SHAME."
(⊙‿⊙✿)

ladymorgaine
creating your space
creating your space

Post by ladymorgaine » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:14 pm

It is definitly something that you should stop doing.... its for the best, truly. The sooner the better. You could always try counseling out and see what you think, though give it a few sessions because the first session usually doesn't seem to accomplish all that much.

NobodyToYou
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by NobodyToYou » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:59 am

Although I am all for counseling, unless you want to stop or want to change your life, it probably won't be too helpful. Counseling for other people's benefit usually doesn't work.
However, counseling can be very helpful in addressing the underlying reasons you are using SI. If you like what you are doing and aren't interested in change, then no one can make you change. But if you don't really like what you are doing and feel trapped by it, counseling may be very helpful, because you may be able to find what SI gives you and find it in a safer way.
Again, the choices are yours. But I would really encourage you to stop as soon as possible. The longer SI goes on, the harder it is to stop. I don't think I would ever have gotten this far in if I had realized how hard it would be to get out.
As ladymorgaine said, counseling is not going to be an "instant cure" either for you or for your family's fear. If you want to change, it can help, but it will probably take several sessions to see if it is really helping. Also, if you don't connect with the first counselor you see, don't assume that counseling won't help. It may be that you didn't fit well with that person and need a different counselor. Find one you are comfortable with, and that will make the process a lot better.
Hope some of this was helpful.

balletomane
one of us
one of us

Post by balletomane » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:10 am

I think you should consider counseling. But you should also really consider carefully your reasons for harming and how this will affect your life. Like NobodyToYou said, you have to want to change for counseling to be very beneficial. I think though it is worthwhile to try it. It might help you work through the issues underlying the SH. And perhaps you will be able to develop less injurious coping techniques. It is a good idea to work on this right away, because the longer you wait, the harder it becomes. Good luck.

~b

Reisu
post laureate
post laureate

Post by Reisu » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:12 pm

Thankyou all for the comments. ^^ I have thought about it, and I've decided to wait and see what i feel like in a few days. It's strange, sometimes I feel I want councelling but sometimes, i don't, lol :lol: So I'm gonna give it a few days and see what I think then. Again, thanks for the comments ^_^.
(◡‿◡✿)
"I'M A DISGUSTING WORTHLESS BILGESACK ON THE GARGANTUAN TEAT OF A LABORING, LEPROUS MUSCLEBEAST. MY SELF ESTEEM IS SO SMALL, ITS EXISTENCE IS A MATTER OF CONJECTURE AMONG THEORETICAL PHYSICISTS. THE ODOR MY BODY MAKES HAS MADE POETS CRY. I UNFAIRLY PULVERIZE THE COMPETITION IN ASSHOLE PAGEANTS, AND I HAVE RECEIVED A LIFETIME BAN FROM UGLY CONTESTS BY PRESIDENT SHITFACE HIMSELF. MY BLOOD IS NOT FIT TO FLOW THROUGH A SEWER, AND MY SIGN IS A PICTOGRAPHIC SYMBOL THAT LOOSELY TRANSLATES AS "PLEASE HIKE THESE PANTS UP TO THIS GUY'S ARMPITS, CHAIN HIM TO A FLOGGING JUT, AND MAKE A FUCKING EXAMPLE OUT OF THIS SORRY SACK OF SHIT." WHEN I LOOK IN A MIRROR, MY REFLECTION SLOWLY SHAKES HIS HEAD WHILE I WET MYSELF IN SHAME."
(⊙‿⊙✿)

fstltna
settling in
settling in

Post by fstltna » Sun May 01, 2005 10:46 pm

Consider going to counseling even if you aren't sure you want to quit. Also look for someone who can use DBT to teach you how cope using other methods besides cutting.
The county I live in has a free DBT program that takes 6 months and you then do it over for another 6 months. I have been a cutter for about 30 years and after being in this program and livng in a in-patient long term care facility I have not given in for about a year and a half.
FREE eBooks on self-harm - the books should be ok, but there is other content on that site that may be triggering. Stay in the download area and you will be fine
Lugdunon City - Build your own MMORPG...