Physical contact - Anyone else struggle? *not really SA*

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Wandering
town councillor
town councillor

Physical contact - Anyone else struggle? *not really SA*

Post by Wandering » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:32 pm

I have a real problem being touched - I don't mean by people I know well - I'm always up for hugs from my friends - but if a stranger touches me, I panic. Especially if its a male. Like today, I was on a basic first aid training day, and at the beginning our trainer (a guy) mentioned that there would be a lot of practical work working in pairs with one person as the casualty. Right from then, I started getting nervous, and though I went through with it, I was so tense and had to keep telling myself not to panic. This is despite the fact that I was (luckily) working with a woman most of the time.

The worst point was when the trainer used me to demonstrate bandaging a hand. I was wearing short sleeves, and he had me lift my hand up above my head, so it was elevated and he could bandage it. It was the side that I SI the arm on, so my arm was visible and obviously he was touching it occasioanlly to bandage it. I honestly nearly panicked.

All this I could understand if I had been SA or something, but I haven't. Or if I have, which I doubt, then my brain has done a bloody good job of blocking it out. I've never been hurt by a stranger or by a guy. Yet I'm honestly paranoid around men I don't know - if they touch me for any reason I start panicking. Does anyone have any possible explanations, or suggestions, because it annoys me how illogical my body's responses are.

Thanks, Andi
Perhaps one day this too will be pleasant to remember
Visitors welcome!!! : My Place

nika
bus conductor
bus conductor

Post by nika » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:17 pm

I never experienced any SA, but I don't like being touched/hugged/etc. by strangers. And especially guys. I can have a hard time talking to guys, looking them in the eye, etc., let alone be touched. I'm not sure why it is, and I guess the reason I'm writing this isn't to give an explanation or suggestions, but just to say, I think I know somewhat where you're coming from. I hope someone can be more helpful. :roll:

Take care. :)
Hello World. :)

ladymorgaine
creating your space
creating your space

Post by ladymorgaine » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:22 pm

I don't have as difficult of a time as you do, but yeah... for the most part for anyone I would strongly prefer that they stay at least 1-2 feet away from me. That goes for family too.... I really just don't like to be touched in any way and my mom is always trying to hug me and it pisses me off. Strangers touching me is unacceptable. :wink: I tend to get a bit panicky if strange people stand too close to me.

nika
bus conductor
bus conductor

Post by nika » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:40 am

I tend to get a bit panicky if strange people stand too close to me.
*nods* Some people don't understand personal space boundaries ... can drive one crazy ...
Hello World. :)