what should i do?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

green_eyes
one of us
one of us

what should i do?

Post by green_eyes » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:35 am

when my boyfriend found out that i self injured, he told me he didn't want me doing it anymore...foolishly in the moment i promised him that i wouldn't cut anymore...now i don't know what to do, i can't tell him that i didn't think the promise through and i can't cut anymore...i feel deprived of the only thing that i have when the flooding starts in my chest....he can't understand how it feels to be left without cutting...what should i do?

Suze
settling in
settling in

Post by Suze » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:09 am

Sounds like he doesn't know much about SI - I'd tell him more about it, or give him some information to read. You're going to have to tell him that it'll be too harmful for you to keep your promise. This situation is bad for both of you - you HAVE to talk to him. Maybe you could write your feelings down if facing him seems too hard.

mallie
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by mallie » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:35 am

Hi Green Eyes.

Welcome to Bus.

Promising to stop SI for someone else is really hard, especially when you don't have other coping mechanisms in place yet. As Suze suggests, educating him on SI and talking to him about it is a really good place to start. Debs page has loads of good information, and would be a good introduction.

It is possible to get through things without cutting or SI, hopefully being around this board and talking to people here can give you some ideas on how to get through.

Love Mallie.

green_eyes
one of us
one of us

thank you

Post by green_eyes » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:31 am

thank you both so much, i do have to talk to him about this all.
i hope that being around other self injurers will help me through this.

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:42 am

Definately talk to him about it.

Maybe you could print out some info on SI or direct him to a website?

It's not realistic to promise someone that you're going to stop. Not because you don't want to stop or you don't want to please him, but because you need to learn better coping resources to put in place first :)

However, the fact that he is encouraging you in the right direction is great, I'm sure when he understands a little more, he'll be a great coping resource for you, but remember that a relationship should be balanced. You're both there for each other.

Good luck :)
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

shadow of a smile
building community
building community

Post by shadow of a smile » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:35 am

hey
i made the same promise to my mom a year ago when i told her about my SI. i kept it for a little while, but really all it did was make me feel worse the next time i did it. making promises about never cutting again doesn't help, it just adds guilt. but i've found that sometimes when i get upset it helps me to make a short term promise to whoever i'm talking to for support. i'll promise not to cut during the next 3 hours, or even that whole night. that helps me b/c it's a realistic goal and that i feel that i can meet, and the other person doesn't worry about me as much. it doesn't completely remove the option, just puts it off for a while.
anyway, i hope you 2 can work something out that both of you can live with. i'm glad he's concerned about you and wants to help! it's a great start.
emily
i accept hugs!!!

my grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness
1 Corinthians 12:9

my place