why

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

budman
one of us
one of us

why

Post by budman » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:02 am

why do i harm myself whenever i get down. is there any other way that i can deal with my feelings besides cutting. is there any chance that i will be able to break this habbit or am i just to weak to try and find any other way. is there anything that i can do to break this habbit.

limestone
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Re: why

Post by limestone » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:29 am

budman wrote:why do i harm myself whenever i get down. is there any other way that i can deal with my feelings besides cutting. is there any chance that i will be able to break this habbit or am i just to weak to try and find any other way. is there anything that i can do to break this habbit.
self harm is a common reaction to depression so I don't think you're weak but hurting inside. there is a very big chance you will be able to break this habit. There are many things you could try instead. e.g. take a walk, hold ice, listen to upbeat music, make a emergency book/box but people have their own suggestions that work for them and are listed on some of the stickies on this forum.

what are 3 things you think you are willing to try the next time you feel like hurting yourself? sometimes writing them down can help to remember that there are other options.

don't give up, and take care,
limestone :star:

VowsOfSadness
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by VowsOfSadness » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:36 pm

your not weak you will find many people on BUS who self-injurea nd it is not a sign of weakness though it often feels as one. On this board there is a "Scarily Vast List Of Coping Skills" Go through and find the ones you like or ones you might want to try and write them down or remember them. Also there is a list of questions that you can answer before you SI that help you ascess the situation and if you save them maybe you will notice patterns that might help you understand why you SI.

There is a great chance that you will be able to break this habbit, but remember if you have been doing it for a long time then it will be hard, you'll slip up a lot at first but it is very possible.

Start posting on BUS it helps alot.

You can always PM me if you have any questions or if you want to talk.

Bye,
~*~Vows~*~
*Challenges welcome*
I always love a :lpurpstar:

I woke up this morning, I suddenly realized we're all in this together.

Drop by my place & say hi :)
Ask me anything!!!

I'm fully Recovered!

JustLonelyMe
one of us
one of us

Post by JustLonelyMe » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:53 pm

You are NOT weak. Its a just a way alot of people use to escape the pain. Its only temporary escape tho and it leaves behind ugly marks. Ive cut for almost two years but Im really trying to stop. The one thing you cant do is give up. You need to keep going. Theres probably alot of people around you who love and support you. Just lean on them for support when you feel weak. Theres many things you can try instead of cutting.. Like drawing on yourself with red marker or taking a shower.. or something. Just be strong and hang in there. :)