chain smoking

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

swanfaerie
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

chain smoking

Post by swanfaerie » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:58 pm

:help: i'm chain smoking, which is better then drinking or taking pills i don't need. but i'm not sure how to stop this. other thing is, i'm not always aware i'm doing it.

ugh. i need to--crud i don't know what i need to do.
Don't do anything stupid.
It's hard to ignore a naked person.
You're a good boy too, Mommy

make your own snowflake!

Place

ben
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by ben » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:44 am

The only way i've ever found to be effective,
is to try and conciously remember that i'm only smoking because i'm an addict, and to try and keep to less than one cig per waking hour/hour and a half.
"Knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night.Looked at sky through smoke heavy with human fat and god was not there.The cold,suffocating dark goes on forever,and we are alone.Live our lives, lacking anything better to do.Devise reason later.Born from oblivion;bear children,hellbound as ourselves;go into oblivion.There is nothing else.Existence is random.Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long.No meaning save what we choose to impose."

swanfaerie
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by swanfaerie » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:31 pm

well i guess acknowledging i'm an addict is half the battle :roll:
i decided to keep them in my car so i can't just automatically reach for one and light up. i have to decide to go out into the cold to retrieve one.
now i must remember to not bring the whole pack in.

thanx for responding ben. :)
Don't do anything stupid.
It's hard to ignore a naked person.
You're a good boy too, Mommy

make your own snowflake!

Place

ben
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by ben » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:07 pm

No worries :wink:
swanfaerie wrote:well i guess acknowledging i'm an addict is half the battle :roll:
It is, partly - i'm guessing you smoke 'pre-made' ones?
Like marlboro's or Lucky Strikes or something?

i had to stop buying them a couple of years back due to financial reasons
[and 400 smokes here will cost about the same as a limb]
and started rolling my own. Which is way more economical,
and a little more satisfying because it removes an element of convenience from the equation - i have to invest a little time just so i have something to smoke.

Of course, hand rolled tend to be lower in nicotine and tar, and don't have horrendous amounts of additives to make them burn steadily or anything [so it doesn't burn down if you have to leave it for a moment]
but comes in luscious flavours like Cherry & Vanilla.

Makes giving up that little bit trickier when they taste like manna from the heavens :roll: :lol:
i decided to keep them in my car so i can't just automatically reach for one and light up. i have to decide to go out into the cold to retrieve one.
now i must remember to not bring the whole pack in.

That's a good idea - anything that removes the 'immediate convenience'
is handy.
"Knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night.Looked at sky through smoke heavy with human fat and god was not there.The cold,suffocating dark goes on forever,and we are alone.Live our lives, lacking anything better to do.Devise reason later.Born from oblivion;bear children,hellbound as ourselves;go into oblivion.There is nothing else.Existence is random.Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long.No meaning save what we choose to impose."