Help with anxiety and coping please...

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Tainted
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Help with anxiety and coping please...

Post by Tainted » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:23 pm

I get really bad anxiety over silly little things..like not being able to find my cd or something.....it is strange...

I was wondering if anyone had any good relaxing tips for me....teas, music,things ot think about, anything that would help me calm down at moments like this......I cant keep calling J cause it is getting expensive, and one day I have to learn how to deal with it on my own.

Any feedback would be wonderful.......thanks a bunch to all.
<center>Image</center>
<center> :redstar:..Your words are deadly weapons, killing me, destroying me.. :redstar: <center><center> :redstar: I drown in him, but I cease to die, for he breaths life into me every second of the day :redstar: <center><center> :redstar: ..I will stop wearing black when they invent a darker color.. :redstar: </center>

Mayalaen
building community
building community

Post by Mayalaen » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:51 am

I do the same thing... totally freak and have an anxiety attack over the stupidest things...

I have learned a few breathing techniques that have really helped. It sounds stupid and simple... but it really works for all those times you are at the start of a panic attack. Take three deep breaths and then make sure that your breathing doesn't get shallow and quick again. Close your eyes and think of something else if it helps.

I know that I also like to think of someone behind me with their lips at my ear telling me to calm down, whispering words of encouragement, with their hands gently on my shoulders or arms.

Yeah... sounds stupid... but it really helps. I have gotten myself out of many panic attacks this way.

From reading your posts... I know your into the same stuff as I am... so I also sometimes imagine that someone has me tied up (as you have to relax yourself when that happens) and that they are in complete control and they tell me I have to calm down only whipsering it.... same as above... just with some lovely little ropes helping the whole bit... something familiar... and I usually calm down with that too :)

Hope this helps...
<center>:grystar: :star: :grystar:
i used to be so big and strong
i used to know my right from wrong
i used to never be afraid
i used to be somebody
:grystar: :star: :grystar:
</center>

Tainted
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by Tainted » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:59 am

Thank you Mayalaen.....I will try all of thoe tips....

And no tips are silly or stupid....I dont hae any method except the phone....and thats not always the best option....thanks a bunch....

everyone else feel free to add input to Mayalaen's wonderful post

Tainted
<center>Image</center>
<center> :redstar:..Your words are deadly weapons, killing me, destroying me.. :redstar: <center><center> :redstar: I drown in him, but I cease to die, for he breaths life into me every second of the day :redstar: <center><center> :redstar: ..I will stop wearing black when they invent a darker color.. :redstar: </center>

aroobixcube
creating your space
creating your space

Post by aroobixcube » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:22 pm

Hi there,
with anxiety, there are such things caused comfort zones. an anxious person lives with in this comfort zone and to go out of it will cause anxiety attacks. Comfort zones appear when someone has the kind of anxiety that means that they are scared of going out or of feeding the dog, or what ever. to come out of the comfort zone will cause major anxiety attacks or anxious feelings. the idea is that you learn to expand you comfort zone so that there is no area that you are anxious in!
you can find plently of anxity info on the net such as the adaa website. this is the anxiety disorder assosiation of america. just typing anxiety in to a search engine. there is the optin of herbal anti anxiety meds which are quite effective, unless your allergic to them such as myself! lol.

Well iv been diagnosed with severe anxiety (anxiety disorders) and i find i get anxious about the simplist of things such as where is my bag, or i think so far in advance, for example, that ill die of something alful etc.

basically my anxiety means that i worry about everything under the sun, but it also means i have irrational worries, intusive thoughts that make me worry, and obsessional worries.

For me, meds is what helps, but they arent brilliant, as drugs arent to make you better theyre to help you on your feet so you are ready to recieve treatment.

For me, i have to attend anxiety management, and hospital daily son, to deal with my anxiety, and meds, bcoz of the severity (the actions of my anxiety cd give me a criminal reckord).

I dont want things to go this far for anyone, as once the anxiety has got that bad it makes your life nothingless. ( in my senses) and that is bcoz i didnt know i had it, and didnt get treatment quick enough.

For you, you have detected you symptoms and are ready to work out how to recieve treatment.

you can be refered by your GP to an anxiety management grp.
when you feel yourself going to have an anxiety ataack, close your eyes, and let your thoguhts drift to a place of comfort. focus on it until you feel less anxious.

take care.
amy.
We learn who we are as the result of coming to terms with our experiences, combining them with the beliefs and attitudes that we have gained from others.

http://reccuperation.tripod.com

support for Self-harmers and their friends and relatives.