Just trying an alternative - my questions

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

jo_alone
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Just trying an alternative - my questions

Post by jo_alone » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:53 pm

how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?

It will give me a release that I don't feel I can get at the moment.

what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?

Again, just the release from it all. However, the aftermath is not always worth it. The covering from Andy and Cian and others, the shame, the guilt.

how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?

In the end, further away. I will have failed again. Myself, as well as others. But it's the immediate way out I crave.

if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?

Sometimes, part of the cover-up afterwards is part of the act itself. That I feel the shame and the guilt, that's what I deserve.

what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?

I can carry on playing pogo, using things like this to distract me. Hopefully that will last.

how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?

Relieved, guilty, ashamed, in control, out of control :roll: also strangely powerful.
Possbily past the urge. Maybe still urging.

what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?

Continuing to distract so I don't let myself down. I need to get past this, for ME.
One day I will not think...I will just be...

"You can talk to me, I am your safe place" - from a daft film I watched - but those words stuck out a mile

Sometimes people with the worst pasts have the best futures.

You learn from the journey and trying to get where you want to go. Actually arriving is not what it's all about.
tis me
GONE CRAZY - BACK SOON

limestone
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Re: Just trying an alternative - my questions

Post by limestone » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:50 pm

jo_alone wrote:...I need to get past this, for ME.
the part where you said 'for me' makes me want to ask you - what can you do (if you wanted to :wink: ) to make it more for you - to declare it and own and feel that yes, this is for me and whilst struggling with this I'm going to do it in a way I've never done before: so that this moment doesn't just pass you by: this moment where you've said you want to get pass this for *you* becomes something meaningful and precious to *you* from *you*. :uhhh: