isolating myself

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

treasure
forum moderator - workshop & before & after
forum moderator - workshop & before & after

isolating myself

Post by treasure » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:09 am

i've talked to 3 people in the last 5 weeks or so. i'm wondering what people think about hiding away from poeple. i have few friends and i don't seem to trust them at the moment, so i just stay away. also my mood has been up and down a lot and i'm scared to go out in case ppl see?
anyway, i'm struggling but i think time away is the best for others cos then i won't drag them down. what do u think?
treasure
virtual hugs welcome.
shiny place or old place

Ruby Tuesday
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Ruby Tuesday » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:09 am

I am terrible for isolating myself. sometimes it's necessary, mostly it doesn't help though. Although saying that, seeing the wrong people is worse than seeing no people, if you get what I mean. There is nothing worse than feeling completely alone when you're surrounded by people.

I dont live alone anymore, which helps, but recently I am being terrible and contacting people, staying in touch with my friends. Just going to work is strain enough, am so tired that I can't face doing anything else. If your mood is up and down I can understand why you would withdraw . Haev your friends done anything to make you feel like you can't trust them? if they are true friends they'll stick with you through the good and the bad.

please take care. if you need help, please try to go and and look for it. the harder you leave it, the more difficult it becomes.
"I saw spiders where there were no spiders" - patti smith
"'My hands', she said, 'I've left them somewhere and now I can't find them.' She was holding her hands in the air, helplessly, as if she couldn't move them.
'They're right there', I said, 'On the end of your arms'
'No, no', she said impatiently, 'Not those , those are no good anymore. My other hands, the ones I had before, the ones I could touch things with.'" - margaret atwood

place

minicow
one of us
one of us

Post by minicow » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:51 pm

I withdraw all the time, and even tho I am in therapy it is still hard for me to meet up people. in some ways I would rather stay in my apartment and not go anywhere. but work and counseling requires me to get out. I can't stand it.

just wanted to let you know you aren't alone.

Space_Man
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Re: isolating myself

Post by Space_Man » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:46 pm

treasure wrote:... i don't seem to trust them at the moment...
Can you say more about that feeling of mistrust; where it comes from, what its about?

moreoutoflife
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

I know what you mean

Post by moreoutoflife » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:31 am

Hi!

Even though I don't live alone, I seem to isolate myself a lot from my partner. I seem to totally immerse myself in my distractions, whether I'm on the computer, playing games, listening to music.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing - I do believe that isolation of this kind could be seen as healing process, or perhaps just some time out where you can dedicate that particular time to yourself or just do whatever you want to do.

I have hardly any friends too, but it's mainly cause I choose not to. It seems that it's best to have one or two quality friends than too many who don't understand you or don't respect you and your wishes. I don't think we need friends who act in that way. We need to love ourselves as we are and learn to respect ourselves (harder done than said, right?).

Hope this helps. You can always count on us here! :wink:
I want to be free, I want to live forever, I want to know myself and be proud of myself!!!

badgirl22
driving instructor
driving instructor

not alone

Post by badgirl22 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:53 am

wow..I get that..I totally understand that..I do it too. I tend to hide when I am feeling the worst..and yes..I also think that if I didn't I would get other people down ..so I totally understand what you are saying..people have told me though that the time u want to most hide is the time u really need to push yourself to get out there...because hiding will only increase that want for being "alone" and isolated, and that can lead to worse things..ie su thoughts and such..in worst case su...so if u can help yourself try to get out..try to do things..even when it is hard..later on you will be glad you did. I truly understand how hard this is though..because right now I am in that "i want to hide from everyone and everything" stage..I undersatnd and u arn't alone.
-Badgirl22

moreoutoflife
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by moreoutoflife » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:34 am

Hi Badgirl!

Thanks for your words of wisdom. I know what you mean about pushing yourself to go out when you feel like being alone, I used to do that all the time, but then again I seemed to find that being with other people doesn't necessarily always help bring you out of depression.

I feel honestly that I get a lot of therapy by being by myself and just relaxing, like having a bath or pampering myself (looks like I'm following the 'rules' on what to do before you SI). Those things seem to do a lot more for me than being surrounded by 100s of friends instead.

Nothing personal, I just think that everyone of us has something that helps them deal with depression best, whatever works for you, might not necessarily work for everyone else.

Nice to know that we are not alone and there are others just like us who truly understand what we go through.

Take care,

Shayla

:P
I want to be free, I want to live forever, I want to know myself and be proud of myself!!!