Dealing with a certain pattern of cutting (wound care)

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Smeagol
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Dealing with a certain pattern of cutting (wound care)

Post by Smeagol » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:55 am

Firstly, I'm not sure how to describe without being too graphic. I'm going to try my best, but if you think you'll be upset, leave this thread now.

s
p
o
i
l
e
r

s
p
a
c
e

I don't cut particularly deeply, but in any one session I'll end up with quite a lot of minor cuts distributed over a relatively large area. Just for protection I'd rather cover them up, but they don't make plasters that big (that I'm aware of) and if I plonk one down on one area, the glue is going to be over another lot. I steristrip those that I think need them but am a loss as to what to do about the others. Even just for tonight. Tomorrow I'll wear tubi-grip or something but it would be nice to cover them while they scab. Any ideas appreciated.
Act in such a way as to make yourself feel capable and effective

The change starts now.

If in doubt, don't

herebedragons
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by herebedragons » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:50 am

Spray on liquid bandages are great for covering large areas like that. Do they have that there? Bandaide makes one and I'm sure a few other companies do as well. Any kind of liquid bandage will work though I like the spray on. I tend to have a simalar m.o. and I use the spray stuff or just leave it uncovered and put vitamin E oil or some other protectorant on it an wear clothes over it.
Let me think about the people who I care about the most. And how when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself.” — Ze Frank

lit chick
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by lit chick » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:35 pm

Try Melolin. Thay make them in 10x10 cm squares and you can tape two next to each other (to each other, not to your skin) if the area is bigger. You can get it in Superdrug or Boots, but Boots is a lot cheaper. I think about £1.80 for 3, and last time I went in they had a 3 for 2 offer on plasters, dressings, tapes etc.
I'm the Urban Spaceman, baby...

lit chick
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by lit chick » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:38 pm

I meant the Boots in the centre of town, near Lion Yard, not the one at the Grafton, though I suppose they have the same products and offers everywhere. They also sell Zinc tape which is good for sticking the dressings down (micropore isn't sticky enough in my experience).

Smeagol
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by Smeagol » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:54 pm

Thanks both of you! Excellent ideas!
Act in such a way as to make yourself feel capable and effective

The change starts now.

If in doubt, don't

nirvana
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by nirvana » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:05 pm

hey... just another option, cause i've done this one before. you could try an ace bandage type thing, that you could just wrap around the area (if it's an arm or leg) after you've put on disenfectant and cleaned it. good luck.

love, tara.
i thought i was a fool for no one, but baby i'm a fool for you.

[safe since february 2005.]

{{ silent scream }}
growing roots
growing roots

Post by {{ silent scream }} » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:52 pm

i would say melonolin (cant spell) id the way forward, they make them in large pads and the special melanolin layer stops them from sticking, and there breathable.

your from the uK right? u can get them from boots for wuite cheap.

i swear by 'em!
i wish i were beautiful

i wish i were thin.........

** please dont hug me **

demidivine
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by demidivine » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:58 pm

just did a huge double-take. was reading this post for me and went "grafton?! lion yard?!!"

yeah, hi all that are also in cambridge. thanks for the tips.

lit chick
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by lit chick » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:24 pm

Welcome to the loony bin, demidivine!

demidivine
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by demidivine » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:13 pm

i did notice, this is the place where they keep all the people that shouldn't be let loose in society.

iamnothing
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by iamnothing » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:25 pm

demidivine wrote:just did a huge double-take. was reading this post for me and went "grafton?! lion yard?!!"

yeah, hi all that are also in cambridge. thanks for the tips.
haha, this is amazing, i must live, umm i guess at least a few thousand miles away but i know the place :D i was staying there for like a month this summer, thought i sounded familliar...:)

pretty
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by pretty » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:35 pm

What I used to do was big bit of gauze, then bandage over it, which is pretty much what everyone has already suggested, just I used a bandage instead of taping it, it stays in place really well that way, especially overnight.
'this is what she says gets her through it,
"if I don't let myself be happy now, then when?"' - jimmy eat world

place