late night

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

aimee929
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors
Location: Virginia, land of hellish memories that I call home

late night

Post by aimee929 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:24 am

I am curious... is there anyone else out there who has a particularly hard time late at night?? Almost every time I have cut myself, it has been late-- after 10pm-- when no one else is awake. And the worst of my depression has always come out at night. The worst months of my depression-- when I was first diagnosed-- were so terrible that I honestly thought I would not make it through the night. I was convinced I would die somehow (by my own hand or not) before morning. It made no sense.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone else has struggled with those late night demons like I have. Days aren't easy either-- but nights are significantly worse.

I am pretty new to these boards, would love to hear from someone.

take care,
Aimee

"I don't have a love life. I have a like life." --Lorrie Moore, my favorite living writer

"The purpose of art is to hold a mirror up to the audience's noses and say: This is who you are... now change." --writer Edward Albee

"I have something to prove, as long as I know there's something that needs improvement, and you know that every time I move, I make a woman's movement." --singer Ani DiFranco

herebedragons
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by herebedragons » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:31 am

yes, late night is the hardest I think. Maybe because there is less going on to keep my mind off of things. Hope you are ok.
Let me think about the people who I care about the most. And how when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself.” — Ze Frank

Bathelina
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by Bathelina » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:42 am

Yeah I know what you're saying, it's the same with me: Days are a struggle but NIGHTS. In the half term, now, and weekends, I stay up late, I used to have a really good routine of going to bed at 9 because if I went to bed late I would be so depressed. My dad noticed how bad I got and he makes me go to bed early. Now I've slipped back into my old routine because of the holidays... I don't know why... But I know how you feel. Nights are terrible....

:1hug: :1hug: :1hug: :1hug: :1hug: :1hug:
Love,
Hannah :) :) :1hug: :1hug:
<center>

the girl who blocked her own shot

I want to be better than oxygen.

</center>

~invisible_me~
bus conductor
bus conductor

Post by ~invisible_me~ » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:10 pm

Yes nights are the worst for me because there is less to do i cant do as much to distract myself as the rest of my family are asleep and i dont want to wake them. So i find the nights really hard...

Symlink
one of us
one of us

Post by Symlink » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:20 am

It's a bit strange, because on the one hand I really like the night (i.e. 11pm till when I go to sleep, which is around 2 usually nowadays, was more around 5 some time ago and I enjoyed it). It used to be the most productive time of the day, nobody would distract or interrupt me (while writing emails or programming or whatever).
On the other hand, yes, most of the time I hurt myself I did it late at night. Firstly because there aren't many things which distract me and secondly because usually I do the things which lead to hurting myself when nobody distracts me.

aimee929
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

night owl

Post by aimee929 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:03 am

Symlink wrote:It's a bit strange, because on the one hand I really like the night (i.e. 11pm till when I go to sleep...
On the other hand, yes, most of the time I hurt myself I did it late at night. Firstly because there aren't many things which distract me and secondly because usually I do the things which lead to hurting myself when nobody distracts me.

I know what you mean... I am such a night owl. When I was in grad school-- I got my MFA (Master of Fine Arts) in Creative Writing-- Id did almost all of my writing (fiction) between 11pm- 2am. I love to write late at night. And I've always been one to stay up. I rarely go to bed before midnight, even though I have to get up at 6am to go to work.

It's true that there aren't as many distractions, and I suppose that writing itself is so emotional that it can easily trigger those feelings that make me want to SI. See my quote below from Shirley HAzzard-- it is so true of writing... and many other things, I'm sure.

thanks for responding...

take care,
Aimee

"I don't have a love life. I have a like life." --Lorrie Moore, my favorite living writer

"The purpose of art is to hold a mirror up to the audience's noses and say: This is who you are... now change." --writer Edward Albee

"I have something to prove, as long as I know there's something that needs improvement, and you know that every time I move, I make a woman's movement." --singer Ani DiFranco

darkrose
growing roots
growing roots

Post by darkrose » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:17 am

ya, I can totally relate to everything being worse at night....and the nights go sooooo slow!! I think it's because there's nothing to do at night but lay in your bed and think about everything that we try to avoid thinking about during the day...there's just nothing to distract us! It bites!
PM if you'd like

-darkrose
I wonder how many people are saying "fine" when they're not.

I think that from now on I'm going to look a little bit deeper...because I'm not the only one.

MH180
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by MH180 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:34 pm

yup, nights are by far the time i struggle the most, and pretty much is always when i do hurt myself. But it's weird cause night time is also my favourite time. :-?

libby
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by libby » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:12 pm

Nights are my bad time too.

I don't know why. I think it's just that I'm alone, and also I've been turning things over in my mind for a while by then. Also, unfortunately, I'm more likely to be drunk at night, which doesn't always help.... :roll:

angelic212
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by angelic212 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:35 pm

just wanted to say you are not alone i also struggle at night time when everyone else is asleep i cant sleep i have to make myself go to bed before everyone else so i dont struggle at night other wise if i dont do this i stay up all night and i cant sleep much at all

love always maria

aimee929
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by aimee929 » Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:56 am

libby wrote:Nights are my bad time too.

I don't know why. I think it's just that I'm alone, and also I've been turning things over in my mind for a while by then. Also, unfortunately, I'm more likely to be drunk at night, which doesn't always help.... :roll:

Sounds familiar... I am also likely be drunk at night, esp when I'm terribly depressed or SU. I feel so alone at night, as if no one cares. Sadly, this is not anything new, but it doesn't get any easier either.

Aimee

libby
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by libby » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:14 am

Iagree Aimee, this is when you feel most alone

All my friends are either asleep or not here. Feel more alone then.

I should just take sleeping pills. Then I'd miss nights altogether. But I'm reluctant to dope myself up every night I feel like this.

limestone
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by limestone » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:56 am

if you're cutting and feeling depressed late at night then it might be a sign that your serotonin level is unbalanced. natural ways of increasing it like enough sleep, exercise, healthy foods could help.

bright.eyes
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by bright.eyes » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:07 am

i know exactly what you mean, i always get increasingly depressed as the evening goes on. my advice would be to try and keep busy in the evenings, so you're not just sitting around thinking about stuff... i find its quite good to go out and be with friends in the evenings, then i'll just go to bed as soon as i get home.
take care everyone xox

Katara
creating your space
creating your space

bad nights for me too

Post by Katara » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:32 am

I, too, have a terrible time fighting urges at night. Anytime after 10 pm is the worst for me. I have been exploring it with my therapist and came to the conclusion that most everything negative in my life happened at night. From early childhood on, there were numerous traumatic events in my life that occurred late at night. More than likely, that plus the fact that I tend not to be able to sleep, makes it harder for me to cope with triggering feelings and events that now occur during the night. It is also harder for me to reach out and ask for help during the late night hours so I feel terribly isolated. Unfortunately, it isn't getting any easier but I hope it will someday! Hang in there!
~ Katara ~

"The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself" Anna Quindlen

illusorydreamer
creating your space
creating your space

Post by illusorydreamer » Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:25 am

For me personally I think about doing things anytime of the day, but I only allow myself at night. I think it's because that way I know all my roommates are asleep (after midnight usually) and I don't have to worry about them walking in (as they often do w/o knocking). Being in college and having 3 roommates it's not easy to get "alone" time i guess, but it's when i'm finally alone that i feel the worst. :-?
I also agree with aimee about drinking at night...it's usually an attempt to escsape the si or su thoughts...sometimes it works, sometimes not. That's just me, I guess, for what it's worth.
:blkstar: :bluestar: CK :bluestar: :blkstar:
"So keep on pretending our heaven is worth the waiting keep on pretending it's alright."

"Find a love and lose yourself."

"This is nothing...it's ALL nothing."

badgirl22
driving instructor
driving instructor

hoep

Post by badgirl22 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:16 am

Yes..it seems every night is like this for me. I totally get it and understand. I have problems sleeping and so things come up then that wouldn't come up during the day..hense the stress..and then more stress, and the not being able to stop thoughts comming threw..and then the urges are stronger to cut..and there isn't anyone around to stop us..so why not??it helps, no one around, and things get better..they are all postive right???
I totatly understand. I hope u can somehow keep yourself safe at night..that is why I am frequently on bus late at night..trying to make my urges less before attempting to try to sleep.
Well, hope that helps knowing that u arn't alone.
-Badgirl22

morganbellamy
settling in
settling in

Post by morganbellamy » Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:50 pm

the thing about the evening is that from when i arrive home from college at 5 to when everyone else in the house goes to sleep at 10, i get more and more depressed and sink further and further down into it. between 8 and 10 is when most of the bad stuff happens. but by about 10.30 its not so bad, the house is quiet and most of the time i end up sitting on the windowsill, jst looking at the stars. but since the past two nights it hasnt stopped at 10. jst carried on until i sleep, i have no idea when cos i dont look at the clock anymore.
It's as simple as that, you are so beautiful in every dimension

LN7
building community
building community

Post by LN7 » Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:16 am

Night time, when it's quiet and everyoen is in bed becomes my time, and when everyone else is asleep I can pretend they don't exist and so feel less guilty about things. Usually 11-2...as thjats when I'm tryign to go to sleep..if I'm still awake at 2 I give up and get back up again.
Sunday April the 17th 2005...a promise made...

"ai polilyë cenda sina nat, ecendielyë i Heru i Million limbi lúmi"

Tittamiire, means Little Jewel

aimee929
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

guilt

Post by aimee929 » Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:08 am

LN7 wrote:Night time, when it's quiet and everyoen is in bed becomes my time, and when everyone else is asleep I can pretend they don't exist and so feel less guilty about things.

You know, it's strange but I also tend to feel less guilty about what I'm doing when it's late at night. I can drink, smoke, cut, cry... and while I usually feel rotten, I don't feel guilty about it. Mostly, I am thinking

Fuck the world, the world hates me... or, as a great Angels in America quote says, Fuck the truth. But mostly the truth fucks you.

Such is my life... and many others' lives as well, I'm sure.

Night is also my time, and always has been... it's kind of sad to think that it has also become my enemy.

love,
Aimee