A list of things I found to help. (Triggs?)

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Tired_Of_Trying
one of us
one of us

A list of things I found to help. (Triggs?)

Post by Tired_Of_Trying » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:43 am

Here is a list of some things I found on a website.. So far, they've worked for me!!^.^ Good luck.

Elastic Band
If you want to experience the pain you get when you Self Harm, try wearing an elastic band around your wrist. Whenever you get the urge to hurt yourself snap it against you wrist.

Ice Cubes
This one is also good if you want to experience the pain of Self Harm. Hold an ice cube in your hand (or several cubes if they are small) until your hand starts hurting. If you need more pain than this provides, you could try squeezing the ice cubes in your hand.

5/4/3/2/1
If it's control that you want to experience with Self harm, this might help you. Try and name 5 things you can see, 4 things you can hear, 3 things you can smell, 2 things you can touch and 1 thing you like about yourself.

Play dough
This is good for expressing anger as well as an alternative to Self Harm. For this you need to make some play dough (red if you are using it for Self Harm). Put the play dough where you want to cut and use a *blunt* knife to cut through it. If you want to use it for anger, the process of making it (kneading the dough etc) will help to express the anger and also by squeezing and punching it, you will be able to express the anger you are feeling. If you want a recipe for play dough, just let me know :o)

Marker Pens and Food Colouring
This is good to use if you like the blood of Self Harm. Use a red marker pen or felt tip pen and draw a mark where you would usually cut. Do it the same as you would if you were cutting, so if you do small, angry cuts, do the same with the pen. If you need something more you can add food colouring to the mark you have just made to represent the blood.

Music
Depending on how you are feeling when you get the urge to Self Harm, listening to music can sometimes help... get up and dance along to it or sit and cry... listen to whichever sort of music feels good for you at the time.

Have a Bath or Shower
If you are feeling tense then this is a good one to do. The water and the temperature should ease the feelings of tension and help you to relax.

Talk to a Mate
This is good for however you feel too. If you have an understanding friend that you can trust, then phone them or meet them online or whatever and just let rip. If you are angry then shout and yell at them, if you are sad then cry your eyes out. Just use your friend as a venting ground until you feel better.

Keep a Diary (Journal)
If you don't feel comfortable or able to express how you feel out loud, you might find it helpful to keep a diary and write down how you feel in there... again, let rip. If you are worried about people seeing what you have written then it might help to buy a lockable diary and keep it with you.
†¤º§¿Tara?§º¤†

beyond inspiring
beyond inspiring

Post by 8586 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:44 am

Those are definitely helpful things, thank you.
Cry as I may, but these tears won't wash you away...

Tired_Of_Trying
one of us
one of us

Post by Tired_Of_Trying » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:45 am

Sure thing Pope!! ^.^;;;;
†¤º§¿Tara?§º¤†

Bathelina
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by Bathelina » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:12 pm

Thankyou so much! Loads of those have worked for me before, and I might try them again next time I get an urge.
Can I add another?
:star: Get a potato and just cut through it with a BLUNT object.

Can I have a recipe for dough? Mine is really bad :S Lol.
Thanks!!
Lots of love,
Hannah :):):):):)
<center>

the girl who blocked her own shot

I want to be better than oxygen.

</center>

Tired_Of_Trying
one of us
one of us

Post by Tired_Of_Trying » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:01 am

I'm not really sure of the recipie myself.. But.. Here's the site that I got it from. http://www.ukangel.co.uk/self%20harm.htm There's contact stuff there.. So.. Good luck and much love!!

~ Tara
†¤º§¿Tara?§º¤†

plantt
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by plantt » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:28 am

i have 2 recipes for play dough... one cooked & one not. i think they're already posted here somewhere... or you can pm me if you want them :)

darkrose
growing roots
growing roots

Post by darkrose » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:26 am

Some of those I've used (like the elastic band and the red marker, music, and journals) but I really liked the sound of the 5,4,3,2,1 one. I think that I'll try that sometime!! Thanx for the suggestion!

-darkrose
I wonder how many people are saying "fine" when they're not.

I think that from now on I'm going to look a little bit deeper...because I'm not the only one.

angelic212
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by angelic212 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:39 pm

i have used most of them and they are really helpful specially the 54321 game and the marker pens

love always maria

angelic212
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by angelic212 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:40 pm

also music helps alot too i forgot to add that .

love always maria