six important coping steps

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

angelic212
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

six important coping steps

Post by angelic212 » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:07 am

SIX IMPORTANT COPING STEPS

Step 1. STOP

STOP what you are doing and take in six big, deep breathes. Listen to the air as you breath in and out, feel your chest fill and stomach tighten, six times.

Step 2. Sit down, relax and think what the issue/problem is

If you like put your favourite song on in the background. Get your journal and read the promise you made to yourself - 'I am in control of who I am and how I feel. I have hurt enough over the years and I will no longer hurt myself in any way' . Now take a few minutes to think then write down what you are currently feeling and what you think the problem/s is.

Step 3. Now review what you are feeling against the issue/problem/s you have

Link your feelings to the problems you have listed and then come up with three (3) things you can do. Some items may be things you can do right now, some may be longer term solutions. Don't worry about what is what, just list them.

Step 4. Make a positive decision for you

Go back over what you have written and decide what you can do right now.

Step 5. Action time

Whatever positive action you came up with - do it. If you are feeling lonely you may have decided to ring a friend, visit someone, write a letter etc. Do something that is good for you.

Step 6. Things learnt

Review what you wrote in step 2 and make a note of how you feel now, what worked, what didn't and how it could be improved if there is a next time. Finish with some deep breathing whilst saying to yourself - I am OK.

( i found this on the internet yesterday and i think it s really helpful so i decided to post this here ) i cant remember the name of the website right now but i found this really good i hope that it will help you all! )

love always maria

bright.eyes
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by bright.eyes » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:53 pm

thanks for posting that - it seems like really good advice and i'll definitely try and use it soon :)
take care

~invisible_me~
bus conductor
bus conductor

Post by ~invisible_me~ » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:11 pm

Thanks for posting that hun. Its really good advice and i like Bright Eyes will use this soon.

Take care
xxx

Bathelina
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by Bathelina » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:14 pm

Thanks!! The breathing thing really does work; my friend told me try it cos I called her up when I was in a really bad state and it is so good for calming down (because I often hyperventilate, get hysterical, etc, whenI cry, and have trouble breathing because I get seriously out of hand).

Thanks!
Love,
Hannah :):):):):)
<center>

the girl who blocked her own shot

I want to be better than oxygen.

</center>