A new way of thinking

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

strmdncr
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

A new way of thinking

Post by strmdncr » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:16 am

I saw my T today and we talked about my SI'ing some. Today he said he just wanted to try something with me...and so we sat and figured out how much time elapsed between the urge and the actual SI'ing. He then calculated how many seconds that was total....and then identified each second as an opportunity to SI. So like, if it was 30 minutes between the time the urge hit and the time an action followed, times 30 minutes by 60 for the seconds, and would come up with 1800 opportunities. He then did a ratio thing that basically said out of this many opportunities to SI, you did it once...and somehow that worked to make feel better, as though perhaps I am slowly moving forward. Just thought I'd share this with anyone who might be interested.
A friend is someone who believes in you even when you've ceased to believe in yourself. (unknown)

strmdncr's sanctuary
strmdncr speaks

Illumina
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by Illumina » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:29 am

That's a really interesting idea actually. It's like turned a negative into a positive. Instead of saying "I hurt myself then", it's "I didn't hurt myself at that point, or that point,". It's grea that it made you feel better, good for you!

- Megan xx
<center><i>I do not count the time, 'cause who knows... who knows where the time goes?</i></center>

Bathelina
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by Bathelina » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:30 am

That's a really good thing to do... I've thought about it so many times and not done it; now I kind of think : "Hey look, think of all those times you could have done it but you didn't". Thanks for posting this!! You've really helped me!

Lots of love,
Hannah :):):):)
<center>

the girl who blocked her own shot

I want to be better than oxygen.

</center>