How to deal with this trig?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

kurdt_kobain
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

How to deal with this trig?

Post by kurdt_kobain » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:43 am

We were watching Patch Adams in class, and today we took a quiz on it. They asked what problem Larry had, and I remembered SI because that struck me. I wrote that down, and when my health teacher was going over the answers, she made a cutting motion on her arm.

She moved her hand back and forth on her arm like she was carving it with a knife.

Does anyone know how to deal with triggers like this? Because I just froze when she did that.

Thanks.

x
trying to follow in the footsteps of the masters,
but it's a lot harder than it looks because even though
they had the same size feet as us, they weren't looking
down the whole time while they walked to make sure
they were doing it right.
[story people]

EllemyshShade
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by EllemyshShade » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:16 am

I think the most important thing to do is to stay calm, which sounds like you did. Remember that people probably aren't intentionally trying to trigger you, they just are sometimes careless (as we all are, on occasion) with words or actions. Try not to take triggers like this personally...they don't know any better. Whenever I am faced with a triggering word or event, I always take a couple of deep breaths and remind myself that I choose my reaction and that I'm okay. Maybe this will help?

Good luck, I think you handled the situation as well as could be expected. :heart:

love,

Michelle
:bluestar: "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. "

J. Krishnamurti :bluestar:

limestone
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by limestone » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:16 pm

in the past I've explained to the person doing that how it upsets me and they've respected that. If you can't explain to them then you get to either be embarrassed or just laugh your discomfort off. If you can't laugh then think 'my, what a idoit' or words to that effect. You could say 'really? people do that? I never knew. That must be upsetting for them to go through.'