Coping with winter (please add on)

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

pretty
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Coping with winter (please add on)

Post by pretty » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:14 pm

Ok, last winter I crashed really hard, and I really think it was because it was winter.

Now it's September, the sun is still shining, I'm doing ok. But in the next six weeks the weather will change, it'll be dark and miserable, and I'm terrified that this will knock me down into a deep depression again. I am <i>terrified</i> of seeing that place again.

So I'm making a list of things I can do to make sure it doesn't happen again.

:redstar: <b>Make sure I get out <i>every</i> day. </b>Days that I'm not working, I need to go for a walk, even if it is only five minutes around the block. We will have a garden by then, so I can go out in the garden for five minutes as well. Other suggestions for things to do to get out (without spending any money) would be much appreciated.
:redstar: <b>Get a job.</b> This is necessary anyway, but will get me out, give me structure, and really help. I plan to be working full time until February, so that should really help me through the first half of winter.
:redstar: <b>Eat well.</b> Make sure I eat some fruit and veg every day. Don't just slip into eating junk.
:redstar: <b>Exercise. </b>Attempt to go swimming once a week, whatever the weather is like. I'll be walking to and from the station and to work on work days, so that should help as well.
:redstar: <b>Get out while there's daylight.</b> If I'm at work, go for a walk during lunch time. This is really important.

Basically, it seems I just need to get a job, everything else seems to stem from that.

Any further suggestions would be really great, as would any support to help me stick to this :)
'this is what she says gets her through it,
"if I don't let myself be happy now, then when?"' - jimmy eat world

place

Lyndsie
bus conductor
bus conductor

Post by Lyndsie » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:51 pm

Talk to people

Go to school

I have the same problem with winter. This is a good idea, to prepair for it. That way if anything happens your prepaired. Makes me think that i better get prepaired as well.

Chimera
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by Chimera » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:24 pm

Have you thought about taking an anti-depressant, beginning in autumn? It can really help people with SAD. Also, some insurance companies with help with the cost of a lightbox, which is helpful for many people. I think it's good that you're making plans to deal with it before anything happens.

Jessica
<center>"You must make your own happiness...you must be wise enough to recognize it when it comes.
And if it doesn't come, in spite of all your efforts, you must do something about that as well."
</center>

pretty
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by pretty » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:37 pm

I thought about a light box, but I wanted to hang on and make sure that it was a seasonal thing. I'm in the uk, so I'd have to look into getting help with the cost. I'll see how things go. If I do get seriously depressed again, I'll have to seriously consider anti-depressants, though I'd rather avoid them if I can.

place

Boris
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by Boris » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:48 pm

maybe put lots of plants in your house?

go out and play in the snow...i'm depressed so much of the time in the winter, but a good dose of snowplay often does the trick

winter sports - skating, skiing, snowshoeing...very fun

just anything to have fun in the winter, keep your mind off of winter.

i once tried keeping a tally of how long it would be (in days) until mid-april when it would maybe finally stop snowing, but that actually made it worse, because it made it feel as though spring would never come.

the winter is beautiful...i'm just trying to learn how to embrace that beauty...will you join me?
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~ Dr. Seuss

...long enough without slips that I've lost track. We can all get there, one way or another!

My Blog

pretty
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by pretty » Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:45 am

Boris wrote:the winter is beautiful...i'm just trying to learn how to embrace that beauty...will you join me?
I love winter. If I can manage to stay un-depressed this year, I'll definitely join you :)

place

Diamond Dog
building community
building community

Post by Diamond Dog » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:55 am

Be aware that you're getting depressed when it starts so that you can prevent things from getting worse.
"I tried so hard to reach you
But you're falling anyway."

limestone
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by limestone » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:10 pm

I love this thread as I worry that I'll go to a place too when the winter/autumn weather kicks in. The end of October is worse for me. I liked your list. Does reading books help i.e. going to a public library? you could walk there and back and have fun choosing books. also, to maybe notice the beautiful things too, like the leaves changing and if that freaks you out, (like it does me :roll: ) then to still see the beauty whilst remembering that all things change and the excitment of when they'll come back in the late spring. ooo, maybe you could plant some flowers/bulbs to flower in spring, like something to look forward to. and go to a big park and stomp about in the mud/leaves. bike rides too, even though it's cold but it'll get you out the house. post back if you want to let us know how your plan is going.

good luck, :star:
limestone

sassy koala
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by sassy koala » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:16 pm

i crash in january usually.
I let myself be lazy and don't beat myself up for not going to the gym or gaining weight.
luckily, I have a boss who knows and understands depression, so she just asks that I let her know when I'm having a spacy day.
sk

SacredSilence
one of us
one of us

Post by SacredSilence » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:58 am

I love the winter. I enjoy being able to bundle up. It makes me feel safe, comfortable and peaceful to be able to wear layers of clothing while staring at the gray pouring sky. Something about that experience is so eerily beautiful to me. Reflective. I can't wait. Changes will come this winter that will be difficult to deal with, but the wheather will hardly be the damper on my life.
I'm sorry to all who have a difficult time with winter, and I wish you the best in dealing with it.

DecemberLivy
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

i love winter

Post by DecemberLivy » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:12 pm

i have a very pale skin that is sensitive to sunlight, or intense heat. sounds funny huh? but its acctually a condition. i am glad in a way i had it. it make me love winter and appreciate it :D :D i was born 26th of december, that makes me very happy.
i dont like summer so much, because of my condition i have to cover up, and that makes me hot and bothered, so its usually summer, i get depressed. :o

anyways

love livy
<center>my walpole cafe

"My life's a mess"
"That's the way it's supposed to be" - soap -
</center>

I think I'll paint roads
on my front room walls
to convince myself
that I'm going places.

veggiegurl
one of us
one of us

RE

Post by veggiegurl » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:38 pm

I walked outside this morning and it was really cold, and I felt that same familiar anxiety that I remember so well from winters past. I notice that I cut significantly less in the summer.
I'm smiling on the outside

jo_alone
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by jo_alone » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:55 pm

What a great thread.

I struggle with winter alot. Always have. Even when I'm not depressed. I hate it. Some of the ideas on here are very helpful and I will start trying them.

I sometimes treat myself to a course on a sunbed - just having a bit of a suntan gees me up a bit.

They're relaxing, hot and it gets rid of the winterish pale pasty skin I always have.

Love

Jo
One day I will not think...I will just be...

"You can talk to me, I am your safe place" - from a daft film I watched - but those words stuck out a mile

Sometimes people with the worst pasts have the best futures.

You learn from the journey and trying to get where you want to go. Actually arriving is not what it's all about.
tis me
GONE CRAZY - BACK SOON

omaha
one of us
one of us

Post by omaha » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:17 am

i don't know if you're into taking pictures but maybe when you go out you could take a camera. you could take pictures of things that make you smile or anything that strikes your fancy. this could act as another reason to get out of the house and you'll have something to look forward to (the developing) and something to look back on that will make you smile.

i don't know, maybe that's a lame idea. i just picked up a roll of black and white film today, so i feel a bit inspired. i'm not really into photography much and i have a cheap 35mm auto-focus but i love the way black and white pictures look and i thought i'd finally give it a try.

Bathelina
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by Bathelina » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:52 am

It's the same with me. The cold, rainy days make everything worse.
I'm going to make a list too, but I don't know if I'll keep it up long; I give in very easily...

:bluestar: Go out when I'm not at school, even if it's on my own.
:bluestar: Help with the washing, tidying up and things like that to take my mind off everything.
:bluestar: Throw away any potential tools in my room. (I did that yesterday, I threw away the one thing that I kept wanting to pick up. I feel really great now).
:bluestar: Concentrate on my work and don't do as badly as I have previouslly.
:bluestar: Print off this list!!

I can't think of any more right now, but I have two things to look forward to: they are both in December, but that's right in the middle of winter so they'll cheer me up.
1. I'm seeing my favourite band, blink-182!!
2. I'm seeing Chicago (the musical) with my friend for her birthday. I can dress up and let my hair down for once! Yay!!

So at the moment I am feeling pretty dull and under the weather... I just hope that soon it will pass.

Hannah
<center>

the girl who blocked her own shot

I want to be better than oxygen.

</center>

Tamrick
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Tamrick » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:54 pm

In South Africa winters are not so hard (in fact the summers are too hot and its summer here now) Still when its really cold:

give yourself extra time to relax - eat marshmallows over the fire
- read a book in bed
- keep the lights on in your house
- have many baths
- play in the snow (and be sure to invite me then :))
- eat ice cream (I know its winter but do it anyway)
- go for a brisk walk
- take vitamin supplements
-
“A Sunrise is God's way of saying, "Let's start again.”
― Todd Stocker

runningforeva85
creating your space
creating your space

Re: i love winter

Post by runningforeva85 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:57 am

livy_C wrote:i i was born 26th of december
I also was born December 26th.

I have been dealing with the change of seasons with my brother who has bad bipolar. The fall is his bad time of year so my family and I have been trying to be extra supportive. Have you let anyone know that winter might be harder so that someone can be there as a support system like family and friends and of course you have the Bus. When it is too cold to really go outside for an extended amount of time, make sure you keep the curtains open so that you can see out side. Also how about having some plants. thats always nice and reminds me of the spring and summer months.

pretty
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by pretty » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:10 pm

Wow, lot's of replies. Thank you everyone :) There are some great suggestions in here, for making life more fun generally as well as through winter.

I haven't done anything to help cope yet, but that's ok cos I'm still feeling okish. I'm moving house on Thursday, so after that I will be doing more active things to make sure I stay ok. My plan basically boils down to three points:
:redstar: Get out (and get some sunlight).
:redstar: Eat well (lots of vegetables).
:redstar: Exercise.
Once we've moved, I'll write that on a big piece of paper and stick it either in the kitchen or above my desk so I don't forget.

We'll actually have a garden, so I'm going to plant some bulbs. It'll be so cool and so comforting to know that they're going to be popping their little heads up come spring :1beaming1:

And if all goes to plan, I'll be starting work in two weeks, that'll help as well. I need structure and routine.

place

Space_Man
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Space_Man » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:06 pm

I despise winter: the cold, the shorter days, the snow... Winter = death. I hate it all, and am really dreading it this year for some reason.

I thought of some ideas though:
• Buy yourself a little treat ($10 or so) at the end of every week—as a reward to yourself for making it through another week.
• If your living situation makes it possible to do so: put bread out for the birds, in a place that you can take the time to watch them come and eat. Personally, I have found this to be a really neat experience…watching some of your fellow creatures struggling through the cold right along with you (although in their own way, of course).
• Light a candle for an hour or so every night, and just ponder it (the whole light-in-the-dark-thing) for a while….

Autobot Headline
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by Autobot Headline » Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:27 am

Space_Man wrote:put bread out for the birds, in a place that you can take the time to watch them come and eat.

I LOVE birdies! They're so CUTE!
...Ironically, my cat is named Birdie and I did not name her. :bcatsmile: :lol:

And the birds in winter bring a wonderful touch of colorful...ness (I just invented a word) to the landscape. I really hope you get cardinals and blue jays where you live because they are so pretty... at my house I have chickadees, nuthatches, woodpeckers, titmice, cardinals, goldfinches, house finches, blue jays and the occasional squirrel! :wink: They have to move quickly in winter to keep their little metabolisms and body temps up, too, so that just adds to the cuteness... little things running around all perky... yay! I have to go hang up the bird feeder now! :)
When you think you've heard all sides, listen for another.