About Feeling SI

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Spidey
board admin
board admin

About Feeling SI

Post by Spidey » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:35 pm

hey folks

i've seen a lot of posts in the feelings thread that say that folks feel "si".

while that is not a bad thing, i wanted to remind y'all that si is not a feeling, but an action. one doesn't "feel si", one "feels like si-ing".

instead of writing that you feel si, could you try to identify what it is that you feel? what is triggering you to feel like self-injuring?

you can say that you feel "urgy". buuuuut it's not exactly possible to feel an action.

now i'm not doggin' on (getting on anyone's back) for this, i'm just saying that maybe we/us/you could explore the feelings behind feeling si/urgy?
Last edited by amerylis on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed html to BBcode
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

5th section
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring
Location: if rain makes Britain great then Manchester is greater

Post by 5th section » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:28 pm

Sort of related, not sure if it should have gone in another thread but talking about feeling like SIing, do people know what I mean by 'one stage down from triggered'? I think of it as a feeling when I'm quite anxious, agitated, whatever, and mabye SI is more on my mind than usual. It's not actually triggered because I don't feel like SIing then & there so it's not an immediate urge...but it's as if it would take less then usual to make me feel the urge.
...then one day I realised that the people you see in waiting rooms and car parks and on trains are really far more interesting. That they all have whole novels inside them, a fabric of scar tissues, photos and memories. They are comedies and tragedies and - more often - both at the same time.
- Anna James (1984-2007)

son of ultimate starshine / brother of Eisa & Sprink / Birdie's ornithologist / married to Mande / Chey's uncle
- my place
- my band (or more accurately, the band of which I am the bassist) some SI/SU triggers in lyrics...proceed with caution...

GOING STRAIGHT SINCE 1ST DECEMBER 2009

mallie
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by mallie » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:58 am

5th section, I think I know what you mean, and I get that way too. Not so much for SI, but there are times when I'm a bit run down or tired and my threshold for how much I can handle is much lower than it usually is.

What Pink Spider is saying would probably apply well to the situation you're describing too. When you're 'one stage down from triggered' can you work out what it is that is making you feel agitated or anxious? Have you tried implementing coping mechanisms early so that you don't get to the feeling of being triggered?

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:42 am

That's a really good point Merc.
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

Roxi
knows the ropes
knows the ropes

Post by Roxi » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:46 pm

wow, this really has made me think pink spider. I often say that i feel "urgy" but have just realised how easy it is to go "i feel urgy" instead of really assessing how i feel.

.... unless i actually feel urgy b/c i havent SI'd for a while and am craving the feeling since i'm so used to it

We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving… We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins… We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything." - Courtney Martin.