Deleting posts

news about changes and fixes to the board, and a place to post any technical queries.

Moderator: staff

Elfgirl
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Deleting posts

Post by Elfgirl » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:16 pm

Hi,
I've had a few times that I accidentally posted a duplicate post. Is there any way a member can delete their own posts? I didn't see any button or link for doing it.

Chey
welcome cow
welcome cow

Re: Deleting posts

Post by Chey » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:38 pm

It would be nice to have a delete function. Its disabled at the moment. I have seen some of your double posts in games. I don't think double posts are a bother at all. I suppose it could be bothersome to the person who posted, but if it helps any, it doesn't waste space or make the board lag. If someone was posting tons of duplicates by constantly pressing submit continuously that could cause problems but it is not possible to do this on bus.

Do know that the admins have put a 30 second waiting time between being able to post and a message will come up saying you can't post the exact same thing as the previous post. This should help cut down on duplicate posting. It still happens but it is not annoying.

Hope at least this makes you feel a little better. However if you still feel strongly about the delete option, I am sure you could explain why it would be good. Administrivia and also Suggestions Box might be good places to talk more about this.

Chey

" “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important” — The Doctor, Season 6, Christmas Special

Annybelly
being the change
being the change

Post by Annybelly » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:44 pm

If you've double posted, and it's annoying you, you can always edit, and just put -double post- or something..
Although it's fine to just leave it as well, it's not really a big issue, it happens to everyone..
♥ "Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear." ♥

♥ "You're not a bad person. You're a very good person, who bad things have happened to. Besides, the world isn't split into good people and Death Eaters. We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are." ♥

♥ "My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations." ♥

♥ "I lit up like a Christmas tree, Hazel Grace." ♥

♥ "Things haven't always been this bad, therefore, things won't always be this bad." ♥

My Place
My Efforts At Being Healthy
My Bus Butterfly Obsession

♥ DFTBA ♥

kiwi33
board admin
board admin

Post by kiwi33 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:59 pm

You could also send a PM to one of the mods of the relevant part of the board, asking that the duplicate post be deleted.
Alone we are born
And die alone
Yet see the red-gold cirrus
Over snow-mountain shine.

From High Country Weather, James K Baxter

You walk with an intelligence
That informs a clear bright eye
There are unexpected revelations
In the company of ravens.

From In The Company Of Ravens, Maddy Prior

caged bird
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by caged bird » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:39 am

we're not really sure what happened with the delete button, I think it's a techinical thing (of which i know very little) but people did have the ability to delete their posts for a while, - as long as no one else had posted after them, then they couldn't then some people could.
kiwi's suggestion is a good one, any of the mods for that forum or admins will delete a doube post from anywhere if you PM and ask (or report your own post then whoever's online next can just do it) you're welcome to ask us to do that. and like chey said it's through some sort of web glitch anyway becasue exact duplicates of posts shouldn't be allowed so they hopefully don't happen too often
visit my website
My Place

Being almost devastated is horrible because it lingers. But total devastation brings a kind of peace. It lets you give up.
Thieves and Kings: Volume Two by Mark Oakly

The line between normal and crazy seemed impossibly thin. A person would have to be an expert tightrope walker in order not to fall.
Running with scissors - Augusten Burroughs