After

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

pretty
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Re: After

Post by pretty » Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:08 pm

Hey Mab.

It sounds as though you're doing what you can to make things better - talking to the right people and getting the help you need slowly. It's frustrating that it takes time though, and it leaves you in a bit of a gap while you get up to the right dose of meds and wait for people to sort stuff out for you though.

I think talking about how you feel is a good idea. Recognising anger is hard though, recognising any emotion is hard. Is there a way you can spot when you're getting angry, so that you can take action (like talking to someone - either someone who can help ina practical way or someone to vent to) to stop it before it gets worse? Is there a simple sign or thought pattern you can watch out for?
'this is what she says gets her through it,
"if I don't let myself be happy now, then when?"' - jimmy eat world

place

Tiarin
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by Tiarin » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:54 am

that does sound like a difficult situation. i can well understand the frustration.

with the anger piece— what sense do you make of it that you're angry at someone else, and so you hurt yourself? not that i don't understand it emotionally, as i've done the same kind of thing; i just think it can be useful to notice that disconnect.

something else that may or may not be helpful in your situation— it's been suggested to me that i don't see anger as an "okay" emotion, so i try to immediately make it go away somehow rather than acknowledging or listening to it. so i've been looking at my assumptions about anger (what do i think will happen if i feel it? do i think it will ever go away? do i think someone will get hurt?) just something to think about, maybe.

take care.

dragonfly
(formerly dragonfly)

"I want to love this world as though it's the last chance I'm ever going to get to be alive and know it." (Mary Oliver)