3 months and i slipped up (after)

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

meg0n
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

3 months and i slipped up (after)

Post by meg0n » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:36 pm

have you taken care of your physiacl wounds? if not, go do that now. we'll wait.

what had happened just before?
FELT AN URGE-ACCIDENTLY BURNT MY ARM WITH CIG, AND IT JUST MADE MY URGE WORSE SO THEREFORE I GAVE IN

what were you thinking and feeling?
SAD,LONLEY

why did you end up hurting yourself then instead of some other time? was there an event that was teh final straw? what was it?
IT WAS JUST THEN THAT I FELT LIKE IT,I HAD TO MUCH TO DRINK AS WELL WHICH NEVER HELPS

how did the situation get to the final straw stage? trace it back through the events thatled up to the last event. look for some point at which you could have made a different decisiona nd not arrived at the final straw.
I DONT THINK THERE COULD OF BEEN A DIFFERENT DECISION.

were there outside factors like drugs, alsohol, being off your meds, lack of sleep, etc? can you address those in the future? how?
YES,ALCOHOL, YES, I NEED TO STOP DRINKING SO MUCH

what other ways of coping did you try besides self-harm? how well did they work?
I DID NOT EVEN TRY :(

in retrospect, are there coping methods that you now realize might have helped? what were they?
YES,I COULD OF STAYED ON THE DANCE FLOOR
COULD OF PUT THE CIG OUT

name at least two things you will do to help yourself remember those coping methods if you end up in this situation again.

how do you feel about the situation that led to self-harm now? is it resolved? if not, what are some steps you might take toward resolution?
I FEEL AWFUL,I HAVE LET MYSELF DOWN BIG TIME AND ALL I CAN DO NOW IS THINK ABOUT IT. :(

are you likely to be in that emotional place again? how will you recognize it when you're in that situation?
NO, WELL I HOPE NOT

what will you try before you resort to self-harm if you're in that situation again? list three specific things you will commit to trying.
I DON KNOW AT THE MOMENT

-----------------------
I know i did not try hard enough, but this is the end of it, i hope! i have let myself down, i know it was only a slip and i am planning to carry on counting from my three months, i have learnt that self harm is not the key to me feeling better and it has taken just this one slip to make me realise this. :)
"A dead letter is a letter that has never been delivered because the person to whom it was written cannot be found, and it also cannot be
return to the person who wrote it!" - The Rasmus

"Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a teardrop."

Wandering
town councillor
town councillor

Post by Wandering » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:36 pm

Hey
I FEEL AWFUL,I HAVE LET MYSELF DOWN BIG TIME AND ALL I CAN DO NOW IS THINK ABOUT IT.
Everyone slips up. Try not to be too hard on yourself - it happened and you can't change that. What you can do is try to find a positive side to the incident which is that you can learn from it and hopefully stop it happening again in the future. It sounds like it was a real spur-of-the-moment thing.
YES,ALCOHOL, YES, I NEED TO STOP DRINKING SO MUCH
Are you working on cutting down at all? Because if its something that does make it more likely that you'll SI, it might be a good place to start. Maybe set yourself a limit for how much you can drink each time you go out? I don't know a great deal about tips for cutting down on alcohol, so you'll have to ask someone else about that!

Are you sure there's nothing else that had brought you near to SI beforehand - in my experience those sort of 'instant' episodes where you don't seem to think about it at all but just do it, usually do have events that led up to them, that put you in the state of mind where you'd be likely to SI. If you can figure out what those events were, and try to deal with them sooner before you get so close to SI, maybe that would help.

Please ignore anything irrelevant to you - I'm just sort of writing down everything that comes to mind!

Take care
Andi
Perhaps one day this too will be pleasant to remember
Visitors welcome!!! : My Place

herebedragons
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by herebedragons » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:26 am

I DONT THINK THERE COULD OF BEEN A DIFFERENT DECISION.
Do you mean because it was an accidental injury that triggered you? Otherwise wouldn't the other decision be one of the things you listed (such as going out on the dance floor or putting out your cigarette)?
Let me think about the people who I care about the most. And how when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself.” — Ze Frank

meg0n
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by meg0n » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:00 am

[quote="Do you mean because it was an accidental injury that triggered you? Otherwise wouldn't the other decision be one of the things you listed (such as going out on the dance floor or putting out your cigarette)?[/quote]

I was having major urges as it was and yes it was the accidental injury that triggered it, it was like the spark of the the fire.

it was an instant reaction i had, and it all happend so quick, and well cant really explain how it happend and what was going on in my head, but yes it was due to the accidental injury.
"A dead letter is a letter that has never been delivered because the person to whom it was written cannot be found, and it also cannot be
return to the person who wrote it!" - The Rasmus

"Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a teardrop."

WhoAmI_NoOne
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by WhoAmI_NoOne » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:23 am

If you are to try cutting back on Alcohol, maybe you could try drinking something else, instead? Or maybe, keep yourself occupied so that you try not to drink. Kind of like for SI, but with Alcohol? I hope my babble helps
No one can see the pain that we hide, They're happy for us to keep it inside, Our fear is our own; they don't want to know, Why should we involve them; why should it show.

I know what it is like to live inside of yourself, and you can't escape.
~ someone