Before *replies welcome*

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

TheRockingHorse
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Before *replies welcome*

Post by TheRockingHorse » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:41 pm

Before You Self-Harm
write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. look at it. ask yourself:

how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?

I will get relief, at least momentarily. I will feel like I have adequately punished myself for how badly I've screwed up.

what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?
It will bring momentary relief but also long term guilt. It will take away my opportunity to learn to cope in a healthy way.

how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?
I want to feel less miserable and feel like I can cope. Hurting myself gets me further away from feeling like I can cope and the guilt and stress of doing it will probably eat at me incessantly.

if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?
what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?

I can stay on bus. I can continue listening to music and call a friend to distract myself. I can always take a nap, which while it isn't the best coping skill, it's better than self-harm

how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?
I will feel relieved if I do the other thing I came up with. I will feel extremely stressed out about someone finding out if I self-harm.

what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?
I really want to feel less on edge, less miserable, and less bad about myself. I want relief from how I feel. I can honor that self-protective instinct by choosing self-care instead of punishment.

urges aren't necessarily the enemy. they happen for reasons, and they're an expression of a desire to stay alive and stay sane and keep coping. remember that.

More Before Questions To Answer

Why do I feel I need to hurt myself? What has brought me to this point?

I feel disgusting and feel a lot of self loathing. I want relief from it and punishment. Also, I'm bored.

Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then?
Yes, many times. If I stick out the urge without acting on it, the self loathing will recede to a bearable level at some point.

What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me?
I showered, got on bus, am listening to music. I can nap, call a friend, watch something funny.

How do I feel right now?
I feel full of self hate. And boredom. And more self-hate.

How will I feel when I am hurting myself?
I will feel relieved and vindicated

How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning?
I will feel terrified of anyone finding out. I will feel guilty and like a failure.

Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future?
I can't avoid this stressor, because everywhere I go, there I am, but I can try to deal with the self-hate before it gets to such a high level.

Do I need to hurt myself?
I feel like this is trick question. I guess I don't ever need to hurt myself but it certainly feels like I do to get relief and achieve punishment.

Cheers to anyone who read this whole thing.

:bluestar:
I said to the sun, tell me about the Big Bang
The sun said, 'It hurts to become.'

Andrea Gibson

My Place
A living room wall with awkwardly placed photographs hiding fist-shaped holes

roseleaf
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Re: Before *replies welcome*

Post by roseleaf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:03 pm

Hey, I hear you and relate.

I really liked what you wrote in answer to the second question, that hurting yourself will "take away my opportunity to learn to cope in a healthy way".

:grnstar:
For among these winters there is one so endlessly winter
that only by wintering through it all will your heart survive.
~Rainer Maria Rilke

:rose:

My place

noldo
forum moderator - coping & place & expressions
forum moderator - coping & place & expressions

Re: Before *replies welcome*

Post by noldo » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:15 am

TheRockingHorse wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:41 pm
Hej Rocking Horse, sorry I'm so late with this but I read it now and can relate to a lot of it.

Do I need to hurt myself?
I feel like this is trick question. I guess I don't ever need to hurt myself but it certainly feels like I do to get relief and achieve punishment.
I especially like your reply to this one as I feel like this most times. Sometimes it is a clear 'NO', other times a clear 'YES' but very often it's exactly what you have written there. I have no solutions, I just can validate your struggles and empathize with what you've written.
sig and avy made by wonderful wds

My Place (replies, hugs, stars welcome) My Art (comments very welcome) My PBH Thread (replies very welcome)

English isn't my native language, please bear with me.

You always deserve help. It doesn't matter if you already made progress; it doesn't matter if someone else has it worse; you deserve help.