Before - please no replies if we don't 'talk' already

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

strmdncr
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Before - please no replies if we don't 'talk' already

Post by strmdncr » Tue May 26, 2015 12:33 pm

Before:
  • how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?
    It won't change the situation at all and as a result the feeling won't really change, it will just be moved away from for a while
  • what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?
    perhaps a temporary sense of peace or release or something along those lines. it would take away the internal anger that i have no place to voice safely for a while
  • how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?
    not sure - at this point don't really find myself caring how i want to feel about this in the long run b/c its been ongoing for so long
    hurting myself will do neither
  • if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?
    fucked if i know how long it would last
  • what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?
    i'm not writing all the things i could do instead - i already know there are a multitude of them. its not a lack of ideas of what to do otherwise that is allowing me to think the way i am, i am well aware at this point in my life that if i do si it is an active choice i would be making
  • how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?
    likely disappointed that i didn't choose to do something else
  • what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?
    i want to talk to someone who understands but those people are no longer in my life - they were either past T's or are friends who have died
  • How do I feel right now?
    angry, hurt, frustrated, confused, lost, alone
  • How will I feel when I am hurting myself?
    probably numb
  • How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning?
    better - less connected to internal, emotional pain - later after i sleep or whatever - not sure, probably upset/disappointed with myself
  • Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future?
    not as long as i continue to live with the people i do because it is evident they won't change. deal with it better in the future - i wish i could but it seems to get worse instead
  • Do I need to hurt myself?
    Need = no .... want = maybe leaning towards yes or else i wouldn't be here posting this
A friend is someone who believes in you even when you've ceased to believe in yourself. (unknown)

strmdncr's sanctuary
strmdncr speaks