Before... *ED, lang*

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

StarChild
growing roots
growing roots

Before... *ED, lang*

Post by StarChild » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:33 am

Before:

Before You Self-Harm
write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. look at it. ask yourself:
  • how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?
    It won't change much, except that I'll have cuts to explain to my counselor and T on Monday. My parents will see it, too.
  • what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?
    It will bring pain and take away control.
  • how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?
    I want to get better with my ED and not feel like a total failure for struggling with it. Hurting myself today will just make a mess of things.
  • if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?
    Relief will last maybe 1 hour. After that, I'll be an anxious wreck.
  • what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?
    Light some incense. Read. Maybe have a small sweet treat. Hopefully it will make me feel better, and that change should last through the evening.
  • how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?
    If I hurt myself: tomorrow I will feel like even more of a failure.
    If I don't hurt myself: I might still feel these bad feelings, but they will be lessened and I'll be able to say "at least I didn't cut."
  • what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?
I want to feel better. That's what it is, deep down; I want to not feel like a total failure for having an ED.

urges aren't necessarily the enemy. they happen for reasons, and they're an expression of a desire to stay alive and stay sane and keep coping. remember that.

More Before Questions To Answer
  • Why do I feel I need to hurt myself? What has brought me to this point?
    I missed class in order to go to the psychiatrist, then the ER. I feel like a failure because my stupid ED, even though I'm recovering from it now, is f**king up my life.
  • Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then?
    I haven't been in this exact place before, but in the past when I did miss school, I usually drank and cut. Neither of those is a viable option now, and both of them made things so much worse.
  • What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me?
    Played Farmville. I could go for an evening walk, read my new library book, light some incense, and talk to my friends.
  • How do I feel right now?
    Still crappy.
  • How will I feel when I am hurting myself?
    Numb.
  • How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning?
    Terrible.
  • Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future?
    Well, dealing with an ED is a lifelong thing. I'll always have Ana whispering at me in the back of my head. But I know that if I do the work in therapy and continue to be open and honest with my sponsor and other supports, I'll get better.
  • Do I need to hurt myself?
No. I am going to try not to.

Remember you don't have to answer all the questions if you don't feel up to it.

Clean & sober since July 14, 2012.
SI free since January 29, 2016.
Cigarette free since May 12, 2017.

"i'm falling back in love with being alive."
- Kesha, "Rainbow"