Before (again)

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

Butterfly.
forum moderator - the nest & welcome wagon

Before (again)

Post by Butterfly. » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:40 pm

Before You Self-Harm
Write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. Look at it.
Ask yourself:
  • How will this situation or feeling change if I hurt myself?
    It will make the emotions less intense, bring about some calm and some relief. It will give the feelings a physical outlet.
  • What will hurting myself bring to the situation? What will it take away from the situation?
    Bring - calm, relief, make something shift,
    Take away - my long standing SI-free period, I'll feel like I'm less able to use healthy strategies.
  • How do I want to feel about this in the long run? Is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?
    I want to be able to say I used healthy coping skills, and that it shows I'm making some sort of progress. I want to feel as if I dealt with the situation, as opposed to just giving in and numbing it.
  • If hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? What will I do then?
    It has been so long, that I could get a few days relief out of it. But there is the a good chance I'll want to do it again (and have an excuse to), and the cycle begins. A cycle I've worked hard to break.
  • What is something I could do now instead of hurting myself? How will it change the situation I'm in? How long will that change last, and what will I do then?
    I'm feeling fragile and overwhelmed - so I could try doing something to comfort/soothe myself (although I really don't *want* to comfort myself which is probably a sign that is what I *need*). I could try using my special foot lotion and massaging that in, or... um... I can google for self soothing ideas and see what that brings up, and I could end up getting sucked into web browsing. All else fails, I could cuddle up with my collection of teddies and try and sleep (I'm doubtful I can get to sleep though - so I could end up getting frustrated and more urgey as a result... it's a fine line).
  • How will I feel tomorrow if I hurt myself? How will I feel tomorrow if I do the other things I came up with?
    If I SI - I'll probably feel like a failure and stupid, and possibly ashamed. It will give me another reason to hate myself.
    If I do something else - I know I won't acknowledge it properly (like I would if it were someone else), but at least I won't been beating myself up over it.
  • What do I really want to do right now? How can I best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?
    As I realized ^, I think the urge is telling me I want to find a way to make some of this emotional distress change, but also that I want to do something painful to myself. I want to inflict that pain on myself. But what I need is to be comforted and soothed. So, if I want to honour that part of me that is trying to protect me and give me what I need, I should try something self soothing. Its late which limits my options, but there has to be some useful ideas somewhere on the web that I could try.
And for once the questions give me some insight. Comments welcome as always though. I think I'll come back to this tomorrow, and see if I can figure anything else out, as the urges have been pretty constant these last few days.
:purpstar:
We're all stories in the end.

Birdie is my pet birdie.

treasure
forum moderator - workshop & before & after
forum moderator - workshop & before & after

Re: Before (again)

Post by treasure » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:34 pm

hi jem,
you wrote that you felt fragile and overwhelmed - but that you felt like you needed punishment. can you fill in the thoughts or beliefs that changed one into the other?

if automatic thinking is a problem, sometimes it helps to do cbt exercises - write down what you are (or might be) thinking and feeling and then turn your negative thoughts into positive/helpful thoughts and again rate your feelings to see if they have changed.

you wrote that your thoughts/feelings towards another si-er would be different than how you would treat yourself. can you get around that somehow? maybe by involving caring people irl, or by writing yourself a letter that explains this, something to read when urgy or after you si?

i'm glad you found some insight, and hope that comforting/soothing helped you, if you used it.
treasure
virtual hugs welcome.
shiny place or old place

Butterfly.

Re: Before (again)

Post by Butterfly. » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:17 am

Thank you for your questions treasure. They've got me thinking.
treasure wrote: you wrote that you felt fragile and overwhelmed - but that you felt like you needed punishment. can you fill in the thoughts or beliefs that changed one into the other?
I've been having a lot of problems with myself lately and the self hate is growing. The punishment thoughts tie into that. But emotionally I feel fragile and overwhelmed. I think its a case of wanting to shift the emotional state (fragile and overwhelmed) somehow and I know SI would at least help to do that, and I can punish myself in the process. Two birds, one stone, kind of senario.
treasure wrote:you wrote that your thoughts/feelings towards another si-er would be different than how you would treat yourself. can you get around that somehow? maybe by involving caring people irl, or by writing yourself a letter that explains this, something to read when urgy or after you si?
I've tried getting around this on so many occasions, and I can't see it changing any time soon. Its so ingrained in my mind to hate myself. To put myself down. I'm hoping that this new type of therapy I start on Wednesday might give me some ideas, but for the time being, I don't think I can approach this.

I might have to think about challenging the thoughts. Might need a brief CBT refresher. I've seen some around the internet.
I went looking on the web and got lost in cyber space, as I expected, but it kind of helped. It was productive browsing though, and it kept me distracted. Used the foot lotion that I had thought of, and ended up just crawling into bed after that. Had put enough space between me and the urges so I managed to sleep a bit.

:purpstar:
We're all stories in the end.

Birdie is my pet birdie.