Before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

Butterfly.
forum moderator - the nest & welcome wagon

Before

Post by Butterfly. » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:24 pm

Before You Self-Harm
Write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. Look at it.
Ask yourself:
  • How will this situation or feeling change if I hurt myself?
    Some of the feelings will shift. They would be less intense. There would be more space from the feelings. There would a release, and relief.
  • What will hurting myself bring to the situation? What will it take away from the situation?
    It would bring some calm of sorts - reduce the feelings, reduce the pent up stuff. It will take away my long-ish SI free streak.
  • How do I want to feel about this in the long run? Is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?
    I don't know what "this" is - and I think that is part of the problem. As always, it will get me further away from treating myself nicely and learning to like myself.
  • If hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? What will I do then?
    This I'm not sure about. It has been so long, that I could get a few days relief out of it. But then I'll want to do it again, and the cycle begins. A cycle I've worked hard to break.
  • What is something I could do now instead of hurting myself? How will it change the situation I'm in? How long will that change last, and what will i do then?
    There's a hand out from the sensory modulation group about self injury. *goes to located it*
    I could try beanbag tapping, or try sitting under the heavy blanket. If that doesn't help move onto a strong sensory input activity. Also found a distress tolerance sheet from DBT, which has some ideas on it.
  • How will I feel tomorrow if I hurt myself? How will I feel tomorrow if I do the other things I came up with?
    I'll feel like a failure if I SI. I will probably brush it off and talk myself down, but I will have coped with these feelings in a more healthy way.
  • What do I really want to do right now? How can I best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?
    Really, I want to SI. But I should try something else first. Work through some of the other things from my hand outs. The self-protective instinct is trying to make me change the feelings, find a way to make them more manageable. If the other things don't work I can always come back to these questions again, or I can SI. Delaying won't change that choice.

Urges aren't necessarily the enemy. They happen for reasons, and they're an expression of a desire to stay alive and stay sane and keep coping. Remember that.
^I need to remember this. I think urges as "bad" and my mental state deteriorating.

Ok, so, make a plan.
1. go cuddle up with giant teddy bear and with blanket for a little while (or until I start to roast)
2. write up a copy of the handouts I found - someone else on bus might find them useful and post them in main or coping (this is the contributions part of distracting with ACCEPTS)
3. Still urgey - try heavy sensory input activity.
4. Come back here and try questions again (or sit on games)

Ok. I think I can do this. (I think I can, I think I can, I think I can - I love the little red engine).

:purpstar:
We're all stories in the end.

Birdie is my pet birdie.

Butterfly.

Re: Before

Post by Butterfly. » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:28 am

Replies are always okay :).

They didn't work as well as I had hoped, but it got late enough that I could go to bed, so I managed to not do anything.

:purpstar:
We're all stories in the end.

Birdie is my pet birdie.