Before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Before

Post by Spidey » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:18 pm

Before:

Before You Self-Harm
write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. look at it. ask yourself:
  • how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?

I don't know. I feel like I can't breathe. I'll relax a little.
  • what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?

Bring:

Relief, some distance between me and my head, less anxiety

Take away:

My almost 10 months free, my ability to get the trikot I want, my sense of accomplishment.
  • how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?

I want it to go away. I don't know.
  • if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?

It depends on how much. I'll probably sleep or drink.
  • what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?

I could fill out these questions, clean, watch soccer, stay here on the board or reach out....I know this situation is just a feeling.....
  • how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?

Guilty
    I'll probably have forgotten the urge if I don't hurt myself
  • what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?
Drink. But it's 2pm. I...don't know.
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

han
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Re: Before

Post by han » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:22 pm

Hey there - how are you doing?
Sounds like the urge was really strong for you... Did you manage to find a way to keep yourself distracted until the urge passed? Hope you manage to get some sleep and that the feelings can pass...
han x