Before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

breathing
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Before

Post by breathing » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:38 pm

Before You Self-Harm
write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. look at it. ask yourself:
  • how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?
    This situation will not change at all, and I know it. It is just so difficult to listen to the urge, rather than feeling as if I have to immediately take action.
  • what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?
    I think that it will probably bring a much-needed distraction at this time. It will give me a visual representation of how I feel. It may take away some stress in the long term. It will take away a feeling of urgency.
  • how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?
    I want to feel as if I don't have to hurt myself to change my viewpoint/thought process. I want to be able to cope in healthier ways. SI is more likely to bring me farther away from this goal.
  • if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?
    It would last a few hours, but it would mean *something*. When the 'relief' is over, I may be able to sleep or avoid feeling emotionally pained for a short while.
  • what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?
    I could read now or study for coursework for next semester. It will make me feel better in regards to how much I appreciate the learning process, but it will remind me of many issues that are stressors. I would be able to be absorbed in an activity that I enjoy. This change may last for a few minutes or a few hours, depending on how much I would continue to think about past events. I would try to rest at that time.
  • how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?
    I may feel slightly ashamed of myself, but I don't have those feelings very often anymore. I am more likely to feel sore than anything else. If I prepare for coursework, I am more likely to feel very happy about making a headway into understanding new concepts.
  • what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?
    I really want to not feel anything right now. I want to feel as if I can enjoy things other than coursework. I never feel that way anymore. I don't even like many things that I was once enamoured with.
    I can probably protect myself by staying in public places where I am less inclined to SI.

urges aren't necessarily the enemy. they happen for reasons, and they're an expression of a desire to stay alive and stay sane and keep coping. remember that.