Before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

butterflydust
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Before

Post by butterflydust » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:31 am

Before:

Before You Self-Harm
write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. look at it. ask yourself:
  • how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?
    It won't really change, I will just have a quick fix to the immediacy of my impulsiveness and depression. I will have a momentary distraction.
  • what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?
    It will bring a sense of control over my own life and revenge. I think I will feel a little revenge because I'm angry with him for accusing me of so many things. It will take away my image of myself as someone centered, stable, and recovered.
  • how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?
    I don't want to be so childish and immature about it. I want to be able to handle his instability without becoming unstable. I don't want to be so emotional about it. I guess SI will not help in the long run.
  • if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?
    That is a good question. It will last a little while. Then it will no longer be a viable solution. I don't know what I'll do. I don't know how to fix this.
  • what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?
    I can go to sleep. I can hope that the buspar helps, and I wake up tomorrow feeling something different. I can hope that he will get better, that things will not always be like this. I can start counseling up again.
  • how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?
    I will feel better tomorrow in *me* if I sleep. I may feel better mixed-state wise if I hurt myself.
  • what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?
I like that this instinct is self-protective. I think that is absolutely true. What I really need is to work through my feelings. I think part of me is feeling jealous that I have to give him all this attention when I'm not doing well. Part of me is feeling angry with him for making it so hard to have a normal conversation or do anything normal together. Part of me is just feeling so out of control of my life, since I can't control the wedding and I can't control him, and I can't control this crappy thing that is happening to me despite all of the time and effort I put into getting better myself. Part of me is terrified of getting married in a few weeks. Part of me is just anxious for no reason. I need to figure these parts out. I need to handle them before they handle me. I need to control myself in a more constructive, long-term way.

urges aren't necessarily the enemy. they happen for reasons, and they're an expression of a desire to stay alive and stay sane and keep coping. remember that.

More Before Questions To Answer
  • Why do I feel I need to hurt myself? What has brought me to this point?
    I feel so impulsive, like everything is jangling inside of me.
  • Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then?
    I waited it out. I quenched it with medications.
  • What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me?
    Talking to people (friend/bf), messing with my skin. I can do this. I can try to understand myself. I can set up counseling appointments. I can go to sleep.
  • How do I feel right now?
    hypomanic in a bad way and very depressed- mixed stateish. I feel very impulsive, like I need to do something, anything, to get this crap out of me. I need to throw up my emotions. I feel very out of control of my life.
  • How will I feel when I am hurting myself?
    Good. I think it will feel like I'm doing something, taking action, to try to recenter my emotions.
  • How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning?
    I don't know. Probably not great, but maybe not awful. I'm just feeling very off right now.
  • Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future?
    I am going to have to learn to deal with it as I am marrying it in two weeks.
  • Do I need to hurt myself?
No, but i need to do something. I can't feel like this continually; it's not stable.
"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." (1 Corinthians 13:12)

it's what we need to fly: http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

in recovery