After

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

Wednesdays
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

After

Post by Wednesdays » Sun May 13, 2012 11:15 pm

• have you taken care of your physical wounds? if not, go do that now. we'll wait. Yes it happened yesterday
  • what had happened just before? I was drinking and went to church.
  • what were you thinking and feeling? I was thinking about Mothers Day, about having to have dinner with her and pretend that I don't hate her, and that she doesn't hate me. Keep up the game.
  • why did you end up hurting yourself then instead of some other time? was there an event that was the final straw? what was it? I think that the combination of drinking and church (triggering) isn't a good one. I've had problems with that before. Also Mothers Day and church. And just Mothers Day.
  • what other ways of coping did you try besides self-harm? how well did they work? For the last six months or so I've been using work as a way to focus and avoid thinking about other things. I have a demanding job so that's easy to do, and it's easy to lose yourself in worl. I'm not sure how sustainable it is though.
  • in retrospect, are there coping methods that you now realize might have helped? what were they? Stayed home and worked all day.
  • name at least two things you will do to help yourself remember those coping methods if you end up in this situation again. I will remember. I thought about it yesterday but decided against it because I was very tired. I guess I just have to remember that when I don't work, things invariably fall apart.
  • how do you feel about the situation that led to self-harm now? is it resolved? if not, what are some steps you might take toward resolution? It's not resolved. In the longer term I would like to see another counsellor. The last one didn't work out but there are a lot of things I'd like to talk over with someone. It's just too difficult to arrange so I keep putting it off.