Before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

zaphriel
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Before

Post by zaphriel » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:29 pm

Before:

Before You Self-Harm
write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. look at it. ask yourself:
  • how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?
    I will have two people very, very mad at me. I will feel better.
  • what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?
    It will bring a sense of calm and control. It will take away the trust I have built up with people.
  • how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?
    I just want to feel better about things, and right now I really don't. I don't think it will help as a long term thing, only a short term one. And it will be very, very short.
  • if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?
    Probably only a few hours. Only til I am discovered.
  • what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?
    I could talk about how I feel. But that is hard, and right now I don't want anything else to be hard or complicated.
  • how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?
    I will be ashamed I gave in. I will be tired, but probably better.
  • what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?

I want to run away from how I feel and pretend it's not there. I guess I could go out for a while and hide somewhere. But then that would be a tempting opportunity.

urges aren't necessarily the enemy. they happen for reasons, and they're an expression of a desire to stay alive and stay sane and keep coping. remember that.

More Before Questions To Answer
  • Why do I feel I need to hurt myself? What has brought me to this point?
    The last few days I have felt lost and alone and filled with anger and sadness. I have been having very disturbing dreams that have kept me from sleeping.
  • Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then?
    The last time I was here I self harmed. I felt better about it in the short term, but not the long term.
  • What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me?
    I have tried distracting myself, I have tried looking after myself physically in the hope I will feel a little nurtured. I'm running out of other ideas.
  • How do I feel right now?
    Alone, angry.
  • How will I feel when I am hurting myself?
    Quiet, calmer.
  • How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning?
    Quiet and calm and peaceful. Tomorrow I will be ashamed. There will be consequences that I will not like.
  • Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future?
    Not really. I could probably deal with it better, I just don't know how to.
  • Do I need to hurt myself?

Probably not. It's more of a strong desire than a need.