before I think

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

ambivalent red
growing roots
growing roots

before I think

Post by ambivalent red » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:16 am

Before You Self-Harm
write down the shadow that's hiding behind the urge. look at it. ask yourself:
myself, longing

how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?
it will take the focus and pain away from the feeling

what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?
it will bring control another scar.

how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?
farther

if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?
not long. maybe i can listen to music

what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?

music

how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?
in control of my urges, and it will help me with dads cd

what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?
music and patience
There's no where to run
There's no where to hide
From what's in your mind - It's a Ghetto
-Supreme Beings Leisure