before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

treasure
forum moderator - workshop & before & after
forum moderator - workshop & before & after

before

Post by treasure » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:25 pm

i feel like i need(want) to trigger myself and then act on it. i miss si. i miss being in control. i feel sad, stressed, lonely and broken. i'm a little tipsy but not in a happy way which is disappointing.

how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself? what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?
it will give me a big boost of energy, but also calm me and get rid of my negative thoughts and feelings. it will take away the achievement of 3 years without major si which was hard-fought and is something i should hold on to and continue if i can.

how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?
in the long run i don't know who i am. in the long run does it really matter? say more medium term then - over the next few months...in that time it is summer i need to be able to wear summery clothes and i'm working so i need to be safe and sane for that... si would push me further away from the medium-term goals i have.

if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?
what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?

i know it's not the best option but it's like that's just another reason to do it - because i'm not meant to and have said no to it enough times. it could give me control and relief for some of tomorrow, but probably not more than a few days. it won't change the stress i feel about juggling uni and work (even if both are part time, i still feel like i don't have enough energy for them both). si won't change how alone i feel, although maybe it would if i wanted to find something to belong to then bus and si-groups would be a possibilty. a stupid one i know, it's not really going to stop me feeling alone.
if si wore off how else do i deal with stress and loneliness - well, music is one way. maybe finding someone i can connect to, somewhere irl? i should probably go read since it's been a goo distractions lately.

how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?
tomorrow, if i si'd now, would be both good and bad. i'd feel powerful, happy but reckless and maybe not as conscientious at my job as i want to be. if i listen to music and read, tomorrow will be stressful, and upsetting (not enough sleep, too much to do and not much time to have to myself), but i will be a normal person struggling with life not someone hiding the secret of si.

what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?
i want to not want si. most of my brain and thoughts/feelings are saying that i'll be fine without it but the idea is sitting there and clouding everything else. i don't know if i'm being self-protective, it feels more like self-destructive with no underlying thing that might need protection. maybe being sad and alone is something that hurts me and si to push away those feelings is a self-protective thing. to avoid hurt, cause a different hurt. i can't avoid being hurt though, i can't avoid days where i feel like shit. i guess to honour it i could do something that numbs the hurt rather than pushes it away. like distractions, or something that makes me feel happier or part of something. i will look at something online, but it's probably a good time to go to bed, even if i read in bed rather than sleep. soon i guess. (and no si today ok?)
treasure
virtual hugs welcome.
shiny place or old place