before

tools to help you assess your urges before you give in to them, and to help you understand and learn from slips after they happen. by posting here, you're saying that you are serious about exploring the feelings behind your self-harm in depth, whether you're ready to stop hurting yourself or not. to request posting access, click usergroups above and join before and after.

Moderator: treasure

butterflydust
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

before

Post by butterflydust » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:58 am

* how will this situation or feeling change if i hurt myself?
I may feel less depressed. Less spiraling down a black hole. I may feel like I've invalidated the sadness I'm feeling. I may not.
* what will hurting myself bring to the situation? what will it take away from the situation?
I feel it will bring validation to the crappiness I'm feeling, and make me feel like I'm doing something about the way I feel, productive or not. It will take away the continuity of my 2 years SI free.
* how do i want to feel about this in the long run? is hurting myself likely to get me closer to or farther from feeling that way?
This is a dumb question. I want to feel better in the long run, and I want to recover. Obviously I realize that hurting myself will take me farther from that. It's hard to think long-term at the moment though.
* if hurting myself seems like my best option right now, how long will the relief it brings last? what will i do then?
I don't know. I haven't done it in a long time. Probably it will only be instantaneous and then it will fade away. Then maybe I will start the two years over again and hope it doesn't build up this badly?
* what is something i could do now instead of hurting myself? how will it change the situation i'm in? how long will that change last, and what will i do then?
I could go to sleep. What I really need is a distraction and an escape. Sleep could do that.
* how will i feel tomorrow if i hurt myself? how will i feel tomorrow if i do the other thing i came up with?
I think I'll probably feel crappy either way until my meds kick in.
* what do i really want to do right now? how can i best honor the self-protective instinct that has me wanting to self-injure right now?
I should take care of myself. I love myself and I believe in myself and my ability to survive. I should hold on to that.

More Before Questions To Answer

* Why do I feel I need to hurt myself? What has brought me to this point?
I haven't taken all of my meds in a long while. Also, my med school roommate who was supposed to move in didn't, and I'm worried she won't and I won't have any med school roommate (quite possible). Also, the girl who I feel could most be my friend at school spent all night talking about how Diandra (this other new girl) is her new bff.
* Have I been here before? What did I do to deal with it? How did I feel then?
Oh gosh, how many times have I been here? Sometimes I talk to people. Which is messed up too because it's codependent and it messes them up. I really need to learn how to deal with this on my own, but it's hard, you know?
* What I have done to ease this discomfort so far? What else can I do that won't hurt me?
I've tried drawing, distracting myself with tv, staying busy, talking to a friend. Like I said, I could sleep. I could watch a tv show. I just took my meds that make me sleepy and I've been stalling for an hour, so that's a good sign. I know that I only want this because the immediate part of me needs it. I know that the more sustainable part of me doesn't.
* How do I feel right now?
Sad. I feel pretty dang hurt.
* How will I feel when I am hurting myself?
Numb most likely, which is why it's appealing.
* How will I feel after hurting myself? How will I feel tomorrow morning?
Morning after is always crap. I know I wouldn't feel good. I know it won't provide any kind of longterm solution and that I'd feel a bit frustrated about breaking a two year streak.
* Can I avoid this stressor, or deal with it better in the future?
The stressor is life. I can be less of an idiot about forgetting my meds and try to be more responsible about taking them so I don't get to this sad point.
* Do I need to hurt myself?
Of course not. I just need to escape, and I don't know how. I don't know how else to escape.
"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." (1 Corinthians 13:12)

it's what we need to fly: http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

in recovery